User1 grants Reviewer access to User2 for an inbox subfolder, User2 tries to access the subfolder in OWA 2013, error message "You might not have permission to complete this action" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me figure this out because I've been banging my head against a wall.

The scenario:

Yesterday, User1, through the Outlook 2013 Windows desktop client, assigns a Reviewer permission level to User2 for a subfolder within User1's inbox. Read Level = Full Details; Other = Folder visible; Delete Items = None; Write = Nothing selected.

Next, User2, who only has access to OWA 2013, tries to access User1's shared subfolder by right-clicking on his name in the list on the left which contains all of his folders. From the context menu, User2 selects the "Add Shared Folder" option, and then inputs User1's email address in the following popup.

That popup closes, User1's name appears in the list of folders / mailboxes on the left.

User2 clicks on User1's name (or the node to the left of it to expand it), OWA displays an error "You might not have permission to complete this action"

My question: what do I need to do to get User2 to be able to view User1's shared inbox subfolder?

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Please have a look in to the below mentioned link .

http://www.puryear-it.com/blog/2013/08/12/sharing-an-exchange-mailbox-subfolder-to-other-users/

I thought you would have directly given the permissions on the destination folder (i.e sub folder) .You should have to give at least reviewer permissions on the root folder .

Please reply me if you have any queries .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

• Marked as answer by Mike_B_99999 Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:53 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:35 PM

All replies

• I'd use Get-MailboxFolderPermission to check the rights are correctly assigned at the server level:

Get-MailboxFolderPermission user1@domain.com:\Inbox\Subfolder

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:22 PM
  • I'm not sure if this accomplishes the same thing, but when user1 logs into OWA, right clicks on the subfolder they shared, goes to Permissions, the rights shown on that popup are visible as what was set in the Outlook 2013 desktop client. To me, this means that the permissions have made their way to the server correctly, but I'm not an expert (clearly).
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Hi ,

Please have a look in to the below mentioned link .

http://www.puryear-it.com/blog/2013/08/12/sharing-an-exchange-mailbox-subfolder-to-other-users/

I thought you would have directly given the permissions on the destination folder (i.e sub folder) .You should have to give at least reviewer permissions on the root folder .

Please reply me if you have any queries .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks S.Nithyanandham

• Marked as answer by Mike_B_99999 Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:53 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:35 PM
  • Hi S.Nithyanandham,

You hit the nail on the head. I actually saw some other forum posts suggesting that user1 needed to grant user2 access to the root but would then just need to limit folder visibility. I tested that assumption out and it worked like a charm. I guess my team (and I) just assumed that by default all of the permissions would flow down to sub folders, but instead they have to be set manually at each level from the root to the subfolder.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:53 PM