Registry Permissions Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a piece of software which tries to save "network information" to the Registry and fails.

I have spoken several times with the software's support people and they tell me it is a permissions issue within Windows10.

Just to give a bit more clarity to my issue...the software controls programmable RGB LED lights for Holiday Lighting Displays. It connects those lights via RS485 USB to Ethernet adapters...5 in my case. The Network Preferences program in their software suite writes those network configuration assignments to the registry (from what I am told by them).

I have had them remotely connect to my PC and correct this problem three times now......then after some varying amount of time...the registry entries go wonky and the Network Preferences think I only have one COM port (COM1) and the lights no longer function. 

Ordinarily I should have 5 "networks" running under the control of their software: Com 4, 5, 6, 7 & 3 for their Regular, AuxA, B, C & D networks. In other words their "Regular" network is on COM4; their "AUX A" network is on COM5; ...; their "AUX D" network is on COM3.

By the way, I installed their software by right clicking on the InstallShield Installer icon and chasing "Run As Administrator" at their suggestion.

I am at a loss as to why....without any intervention from me...the registry entries and hence their Network Preferences simply disappear. And after that disappearance the software is unable to save the configuration again without their tech support folks getting in and "doing something" which I do not understand. I am sure he is "adjusting" or "Modifying" the registry in some way - but I don't know exactly in what way.

If any of this makes any sense I'd sure appreciate some help in understanding how to prevent this issue from repeatedly occurring.!

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi jamills706,

Based on your description, this issue is mainly related to this third party application. I agree with S.Sengupta, it could be software's compatibility problem with Windows 10

We are not familiar this third party product, I have no idea what the permissions issue is that the software's support people talking about and how to troubleshoot it. I understand that you have spoken several times with the software's support people, but I am afraid that contacting them is the only way to fix this issue for now. Try to ask them for more information to find the exact culprit when their tech support remotely connect in.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 7, 2016 8:06 AM

All replies

• Which software are you running?It sounds software's compatibility problem with Windows 10. Why are you not asking them to configure the software on Windows 10?

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:29 PM
  • They tell me, of course, it is a Windows issue...and not one with their program.

They tell me it is a permissions issue with the Registry and that my computer somehow "decides" that their software is no longer permitted to write its values into the registry. The software acts like it saves the values...but when the software is reopened the values have not, in fact, been rewritten as I set them.

The software is the Network Preferences tool that is part of Light-O-Ramas software suite - software which controls my holiday lighting display.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 5:08 PM
  • Hi jamills706,

Based on your description, this issue is mainly related to this third party application. I agree with S.Sengupta, it could be software's compatibility problem with Windows 10

We are not familiar this third party product, I have no idea what the permissions issue is that the software's support people talking about and how to troubleshoot it. I understand that you have spoken several times with the software's support people, but I am afraid that contacting them is the only way to fix this issue for now. Try to ask them for more information to find the exact culprit when their tech support remotely connect in.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 7, 2016 8:06 AM