Skype logs out every few minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My work laptop is installed with Skype for Business on Windows 10.

Recently my internet provider at home changed and I have since had issues. Basically when I'm connected to mobile, work, etc networks then everything works fine except from my home network. I have tried both with cable and wifi  same issue.

The issue is, that skype will log-out every 3-4 minutes and then try login again. This disruption causes me being thrown out from meetings hosted by any customer.

I believe the issue is related to my home network, but I can't figure out what it could be. Maybe someone could lead me in correct direction.

I heard rumors about the new internet provider having NAT type 3 issues, but I don't know what that really means. I also noticed that my device have private IP adress 192.168.110.19, which looks kinda strange. It that should somehow cause the issue?

Br,

Egemen

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Egemen,

It can be that your network is unstable at home. Skype can disconnect many times because of this. Best is to call your ISP and let them check the internet connection if it is stable. With ADSL connection you can have a lot more issue's with disconnect. Also try to reset your modem to factory settings, check the cables that goes to the modem. Try only to connect 1 device on your internet connection, maybe one of the devices is interfering.

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Egemen,

Yes, you're correct the issue is going to be related to your home network.

The fact that your being allocated an IP of 192.168.110.19 is actually fine.  This is within the list of private IP addresses that your ISP can use - most generally use 192.168.x.x.

From the symptoms you are reporting, it would appear that Skype is detecting a loss of network connection.

Do see loss of connection on your laptop?

Try opening up a command prompt window and type ping www.google.com -t

This will send a small network packet between your computer and google - you can then see if any packets are being dropped whilst Skype signs out.

Also, when you connect from home are you connected to any kind of corporate VPN?  Ideally, your Skype traffic shouldn't be going over any kind of business VPN.

If you do see packets dropping from the ping test, it might be worth raising a support ticket with your ISP and letting them know that network packets are being dropped which is causing your Skype client to sign out.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" or "Propose As Answer".

• Proposed as answer by paul.hawkins Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:09 AM
  • Hi Egemen,

Agree with others.

Please run the following cmd to ping google continuously. Check the stability network

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I tried to ping google and no packages are lost. 

I do see connection loss on my computer where browser search are slow and actually waiting for a while. 

I'm not connected to VPN but somehow my laptop is validated to access internal networks. Something that probably can be compared to Mobile Iron on a mobile. I don't believe this is the issue as it works with any other network. 

I believe they are handling something differently on their servers (ISP) that is not interfering with certain services like Skype. I know they had issues with DNS that should be fixed now, but maybe I need to do something on my end as well?

My ISP support really sucks as they basically speak around. 

Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Hi Erdem,

I did not try with only 1 device on network, but everything else have been tested multiple times. No luck. 

Saturday, December 2, 2017 8:51 AM
  • I actually continued the ping test after writing to you. 

I have lost packages, however the moment it happens does not match with Skype logging out.

Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:12 AM
  • Hi Egemen,

Based on my test, when you loss the packages,you will not log out instantly,your connection of network is not stable,please change other network or connect ISP to fix the problem.

Regards,

Leon Lu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hi Erdem,

I did not try with only 1 device on network, but everything else have been tested multiple times. No luck. 

Hi Egemen,

What kind of connection do you have ADSL, fiber etc ?

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, December 4, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Hi Erdem, It’s broadband via COAX. 120mbit. Br Egemen
    Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Hi Egement,

You could try to use the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer to test the Network checks.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Leon Lu

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:04 AM