Run As Shortcut... RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have a specific "shortcut" or item on the start menu, taskbar, etc... to automatically run as a different user?  I'm familiar with the default of "Run As Administrator".  But, i'm looking for a way to setup a shortcut so that it runs an application with a different domain user.  My name/domain user01/domain123.com.  But, I need to run an application as the user "user01/domain124.com".  I also would like to have this available for my other users who are not domain admins, but need to run an application as a domain administrator on the different domain.

Thanks for any advice!!

Note:  I want to be able to set these shortcuts for desktop usage.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

• 1)If you're going to make them go through the trouble of using a domain account in this way which forces them to ask for the password (no credential caching), then what is problem with having them use the Shift + right click", "Run As different user"?

Again,  I think setting up Authorization Manager is the way to go for addressing this service account needs for users which will be launching applications with another domain account.

2) I think it goes without saying that if you intend to use another domain account that you'd have to setup a trust between the 2 domains, at least a selective trust for the resources in question that this app/service account will need access to.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:57 PM

All replies

• 1) When you setup the shortcut to the application you're looking to launch, right click the short cut > shorcut tab > advanced button > check box with 'Run with different credentials'.

2) I don't think it's advisable to leave shortcuts that execute code as domain admins on applications open to everyday users. To get around this & avoid having to give users such a highlevel account, look at setting up Authorization Manager (azman.msc) settings, this will effectively give them admin access on the application, but not on the whole system.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726036(WS.10).aspx

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:20 PM
  • 1) Within Windows 7, I do not have the "Run with different credentials".  There is only a "Run as Administrator".  If I "shift + right click" on the shortcut, then I can select "run as different user".

2) This user is logged in as user01/domain123 on his computer needs to run the application as, user01/domain124.com.  Neither user login actually needs domain administrator access, my mistype up there.

I just need to create a shortcut on the desktop that will Run as a different user, then ask for password or possibly save the password, ...so that I wont' have to explain to them all the time on "Shift + right click", "Run As different user".

Also, the domain124 is a test environment and are not trusted to each other... :(

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:58 PM
  • 1)If you're going to make them go through the trouble of using a domain account in this way which forces them to ask for the password (no credential caching), then what is problem with having them use the Shift + right click", "Run As different user"?

Again,  I think setting up Authorization Manager is the way to go for addressing this service account needs for users which will be launching applications with another domain account.

2) I think it goes without saying that if you intend to use another domain account that you'd have to setup a trust between the 2 domains, at least a selective trust for the resources in question that this app/service account will need access to.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:57 PM
  • "...then what is problem with having them use the Shift + right click", "Run As different user"?"

I don't want to have to tell 100 dumb people how to do this.  I guess i'll just grab a tutorial book for them.

Thanks for the info, i'm looking into the trust process & the Autorization Manager which I was totally unfamiliar with until you mentioned it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:48 PM