App-V 5.0 Application Default Install Path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am having a problem getting a packaged app to run. It seemed to sequence fine but when i deploy it  i get an error that the folder path is too long.

for some reason the software manufacturer put a limit of 44 characters on the folder path which seems excessive. That isn't even enough to cover the package GUID + Exe file location.

Does there happen to be any way to change the default install path (i deploy through SCCM 2012) and maybe truncate the GUID. I get the feeling the answer will be no but i thought i would check all the same.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Unfortunately not - you could ensure that the .exe-file is located within the Primary Virtual Application Directory.

Raising this with Microsoft would be interesting - is the application public?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Hi, and thanks for the quick reply and help.

I apologise as my app-v knowledge is not that great as i have only been working on it for a couple of months, I think the folder will be far too long even if the .exe was in the main directory. When SCCM deploys an App-V app to a user it places it in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\[App GUID] and with localappdata its over 100 characters long (i'm not sure if the same happens when deploying through an app-v management server as i have never used it)

Sadly the Application is a piece of mining software which the university i work for pays for and i i don't think i have any way of raising this with Microsoft as we don't have any form of paid support.

Again thanks for the help

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hello,

The folder structure is the same regardless of infrastructure type

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:04 AM