Determine SMTP Relay RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are in process of transition of SMTP relays in our environment from old to new.

So old relay will not be available, which could impact any SMTP alerts that we have setup on our windows servers to email automatically.

Now how can I determine if the servers are using "old SMTP relay's" so that they can be corrected.

Thanks.

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:03 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone for replying.

I don't have access to exchange servers to enable SMTP logging , is there a way to check/find without accessing exchange servers ?

For now I am checking task scheduler on servers if anything is configured to auto email but there could be application configured with auto email notification settings.

You need access to the whatever servers are being used as a relay in order to check the SMTP protocol logs to see what senders are sending mail to it. If you cant get that access it will be nearly impossible to determine this.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by AtulRam Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hello,

We are in process of transition of SMTP relays in our environment from old to new.

So old relay will not be available, which could impact any SMTP alerts that we have setup on our windows servers to email automatically.

Now how can I determine if the servers are using "old SMTP relay's" so that they can be corrected.

Thanks.

Enable SMTP protocol logging on the old relays and check the logs to see what IPs are connecting.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:07 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 6:01 PM
  • Assuming the old relays are either Exchange Server 2007 or newer, you could run in an Exchange Management Shell:

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Server <old_relay> -Start "11/20/2015 8:00 PM" -ResultSize unlimited | ? {$_.EventId -eq "RECEIVE" -and $_.Source -eq "SMTP" } | Group-Object ClientIP

Replace old_relay with one of your relay's IP. Note that the output will contain IPs of your Exchange servers as well, but it shouldn't be difficult to ignore these from the result set.

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Hello,

Please follow the steps suggested by Andy.

Also you can follow the below article

Message Tracking

Regards,

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts @ Techrid.com

Monday, November 23, 2015 6:41 PM

I don't have access to exchange servers to enable SMTP logging , is there a way to check/find without accessing exchange servers ?

For now I am checking task scheduler on servers if anything is configured to auto email but there could be application configured with auto email notification settings.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:18 AM

You need access to the whatever servers are being used as a relay in order to check the SMTP protocol logs to see what senders are sending mail to it. If you cant get that access it will be nearly impossible to determine this.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by AtulRam Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:16 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:17 PM
  • Thanks Andy for your suggestion.

Its better if I take help from Messaging team to enable logging.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:16 PM