how to customize the WSS3.0 List layout for new item and edit item. RRS feed

• Question

• is there a easy way to format the layout of items of a list, defaut is from top to bottowm:

Item1, value1

Item2, value2

Can I layout out like :

item1, value1; item 2, value2

Item3, value3

Item4, value4;item5, value5?

Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:42 PM

Answers

• With SharePoint Designer you can edit view/edit forms (hide the standard form and add a new one so that you can create the layout that you please) ... however it's not really a recommended solution. You will also need to update list forms with SharePoint designer whenever you add/remove new fields to the list.

Here is a codeplex project that should allow you to achieve what you are trying to do and the best thing is that it's all done in the web interface: http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SharePoint%20-%20SPForms%20Designer&referringTitle=Home 

Florin DUCA - MCSE 2003 +Sec,MCTS conf/dev WSS3/MOSS, MCITP/MCPD SP 2010, MCPD ASP.Net 3.5, MCTS ISA 2006 - Logica Business Consulting, France
    • Marked as answer by George Zhou Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:49 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 12:05 AM
  • I did a test and for me it worked. Here are the steps I did:

1) Go to page http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/releases/view/21960

2) Download "SharePoint Forms Designer With Content Types Solution" (http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/releases/view/21960#DownloadId=59838)-> it should download the file: SPFormsDesigner.wsp

3) On a WSS3 environment (WSS 3.0 EN with SP2 on a Win 2008 SP2 x64) I deployed the WSP with STSADM:

--> stsadm -o addsolution -filename c:\SPFormsDesigner.wsp

4) From the Central Administration, deploy the solution (SPFormsDesigner) to the web app "SharePoint 80" (the default WSS 3.0 web app)

5) Activate the feature "Forms Designer" on the default root site collection of the SharePoint 80 web app

6) Create a list of type "Custom List", enable management of content types on the list, add the content type "Modifiable Item" and remove the standard Item content type

7) Go to the list views, and click on Actions > Design Forms and edit the new form

8) Save and create a new item to see the custom form

Florin DUCA - MCSE 2003 +Sec,MCTS conf/dev WSS3/MOSS, MCITP/MCPD SP 2010, MCPD ASP.Net 3.5, MCTS ISA 2006 - Logica Business Consulting, France
    Monday, November 29, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• With SharePoint Designer you can edit view/edit forms (hide the standard form and add a new one so that you can create the layout that you please) ... however it's not really a recommended solution. You will also need to update list forms with SharePoint designer whenever you add/remove new fields to the list.

Here is a codeplex project that should allow you to achieve what you are trying to do and the best thing is that it's all done in the web interface: http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SharePoint%20-%20SPForms%20Designer&referringTitle=Home 

Friday, November 26, 2010 12:05 AM
  • great, thanks, I will try it.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 4:29 AM
  • Hi Florin, I downloaded and it only has blog rating and document rating, even download spformdesigner, it didn't show the feature, also when activate blog rating, it cannot, saying need turn on one or more features.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Did you take it from the Downloads tab (http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/releases/view/21960). Now it's V2 and when I tried it it was V1 but it went OK. I did not test the V2 download from this page but it should work (I looked insite the WSP and everithing looks fine).

Tell me if you still have troubles with the forms designer downloaded from the downloads tab and I will do a test on a WSS3 environment.

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:21 PM
  • thank you Florin, yes, I downloaded V2, it didn't show that feature.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I did a test and for me it worked. Here are the steps I did:

1) Go to page http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/releases/view/21960

2) Download "SharePoint Forms Designer With Content Types Solution" (http://sptoolbasket.codeplex.com/releases/view/21960#DownloadId=59838)-> it should download the file: SPFormsDesigner.wsp

3) On a WSS3 environment (WSS 3.0 EN with SP2 on a Win 2008 SP2 x64) I deployed the WSP with STSADM:

--> stsadm -o addsolution -filename c:\SPFormsDesigner.wsp

4) From the Central Administration, deploy the solution (SPFormsDesigner) to the web app "SharePoint 80" (the default WSS 3.0 web app)

5) Activate the feature "Forms Designer" on the default root site collection of the SharePoint 80 web app

6) Create a list of type "Custom List", enable management of content types on the list, add the content type "Modifiable Item" and remove the standard Item content type

7) Go to the list views, and click on Actions > Design Forms and edit the new form

8) Save and create a new item to see the custom form

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Thank you Florin, I followed your steps, using central admin to deploy solution instead of using stsadm, I can see the status is error, and details contains "A feature with ID 8bf89daa-d745-4b18-b983-3ef6daff0681 has already been installed in this farm.  Use the force attribute to explicitly re-install the feature. ", and I followed the solution on this forum to redeploy the core template with allowgacdeployment, but still get the error, not sure what is wrong.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:56 PM
  • This Id (8bf89daa-d745-4b18-b983-3ef6daff0681) is the ID of the feature that deploys the forms designer. Maybe you installed another solution (from SP Tool Basket) that already contains the feature.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Thank you so much Florin, finally I got it through. I reverted the test site to the state before applying a few templates, start over again, it worked.

another question, is this template trustable? I plan to add to my production site after test it.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I haven't used it that much but I see that the project is marker stable on codeplex and that there are ~50,000 downloads so I guess it's rather reliable.

However remember that for codeplex projects there is no support (offered by MS or others), there is only the community support (this forum, the forum associated to the codeplex project).

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:55 PM
  • thanks again, it is cool tool. the issue I have right now is that the number of rows cannot be extended (max. 15 rows) and the column width cannot be adjusted. basically it is good tool. not sure how it can put Item name on the top of field as the example show.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:04 PM