Standard users can't open ncpa.cpl (even when added to group "Network Configuration Operators") RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Normally when a standard user is added to the group "Network Configuration Operators", it should provide them with access to change NICs. This is also indicated in the group description ==> "Members in this group can have some administrative privileges to manage configuration of networking features"

I've added a standard user to the group but I'm still receiving the error "You do not have permission to open the Network Connections folder" when opening ncpa.cpl. When I click on the active connection in "network and sharing center" and click on Properties, I am able to change the settings of this adapter.

Does anyone have a clue why the message "you do not have permission to open the Network Connections folder" is displayed?
    I thought this KB might be needed, but it's not applicable to my system appareantly.

The systems impacted are Windows 7 x64.

The following image described what is working (green) and what's not (red).

I've simulated this on a Windows 10 device (other domain!!) and I'm always able to open ncpa.cpl. When trying to change the properties of a NIC, I'm prompted for credentials. Only when a user is added to the group "Network Configuration Operators", he's able to change the settings of the NIC.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Since it works fine in another local account, it obviously that exit two possible reasons.

One is your user profile corrupted, you need to copy the user profile from the new account the issued account to fix it manually. In last post, I have told you to do that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Another possibility is your domain GPO, domain GPO is unlike the local GPO. It is deployed under the server of your domain and push it to the domain environment. You would better contact your local administrator to confirm if any domain GPO or GPP or other script deployed.

Also, you can use Process Monitor to capture the package when you use Control Panel and use command to open the interface. Then compared two kinds of packages and find the reason.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_ Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Silencer0001 Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:42 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please go to “Control Panel” > “Windows Updates” > “Check for updates”. Then check the issue.

Secondly, have you tried to use the Windows 10 device to access the original domain and then check whether the issue exists? If the issue still exist, you would better contact your local administrator to know if any domain policy applied. Also, you can run Group Policy Result command to know if any group policy applied or you can upload it to us.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456989.aspx

If the issue solved by using Windows 10 device to access, we suggest you create a new account in the issued PC. Then add the account to the “Network Configuration Operators” and check the issue in the account again. If another account works, please try to fix your original user profile.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

If it still doesn’t work, we suggest you try the process monitor to capture the access denied error.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 19, 2015 2:36 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply and great information. Joining the windows 10 device to the domain isn't possible due to restrictions in permissions for me.

I created a local account to the Windows 7 computer and got it working. So it's clearly linked to a group policy object. Will have to investigate further what might be the issue.

I've had already checked the gpresult of the computer but can't really find a matching GPO who's blocking this purpose. Do you have any idea?

Friday, October 23, 2015 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Since it works fine in another local account, it obviously that exit two possible reasons.

One is your user profile corrupted, you need to copy the user profile from the new account the issued account to fix it manually. In last post, I have told you to do that.

Another possibility is your domain GPO, domain GPO is unlike the local GPO. It is deployed under the server of your domain and push it to the domain environment. You would better contact your local administrator to confirm if any domain GPO or GPP or other script deployed.

Also, you can use Process Monitor to capture the package when you use Control Panel and use command to open the interface. Then compared two kinds of packages and find the reason.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon  

• Proposed as answer by Charles_Wang_ Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Silencer0001 Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:42 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for this feedback! For the moment, I don't have much time to troubleshoot this. But will report back when we have found the solution and what was the problem for this environment.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 8:44 AM