none
MS Project 2010 Indent indicator RRS feed

• Question

• When I have indented sub-lines in a schedule, the top line shows a "+" or "-" for expansion and hiding.

In Project 2003 this +/- sign could be hidden when printing so the viewer could not see that there were subtasks (if I also streamlined the graphical display).

I can not find this functionality in Project 2010. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Persson Jan,

With the introduction of the ribbon, the developers made it more difficult to find some options that were readily available in previous versions. What you are looking for is the Outline Symbols. You will need to add it to a custom tab on the ribbon, but rather than explain how to do that, please see the following link. Dale's response outlines the steps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/ms-project-how-to-undo-the-auto-indent-task-name/9b3e5e3b-6245-4f3c-bc2b-078a6319ecc2

John

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Jan --

In my copy of Microsoft Project 2010, I just printed a Gantt Chart view of a project which has summary tasks and subtasks, and in the printout, I cannot see the expand/collapse indicators.  I have SP2 installed with the Cumulative Updates as well.  Is your copy of Microsoft Project 2010 updated as well?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Hello,

I was a little bit unclear. In my screen view I see the expand/collapse indicators. Since I often take my screen view copy/insert it in document or powerpoint, this is the view I want to clean up a little bit.

If I use "undo auto indent task name" I remove the indentation, but I want to keep this.

When I print the schedules on paper or in pdf it is good - no expand/collapse indicators are visible.

In Project 2003 there was a check box under tools/options if you wanted to see the expand/collapse indicators or not in the screen view. That is what I am looking for.

With the Project 2010 logic it should be under file/options but I have not found it.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Persson,

I told you how to do it in my response above. Did you try that?

John

• Marked as answer by Persson Jan Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Jan --

Please refer to the excellent response from John.  He is correct that you need to use the Outline Symbols command (he called it Outline Indicators).  My recommendation would be to add this commend to your Quick Access Toolbar rather than adding it to a ribbon.  Once you have added this commend, you will see it as a checkbox option on your Quick Access Toolbar.

Also, if you mark your question as answered, please give John the credit by marking his previous post as the answer.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the kudos but I think you need to re-read what I wrote (i.e. Outline Symbols versus Outline Indicators).

John

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:39 PM
  • John --

You would think I could read plain English!  My bad, and I apologize.  :(

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Dale,

Not to worry, I do the same thing (i.e. misread stuff) from time to time. Then when I discover, (or someone points out), my error I am humbled. But you know, nobody got hurt and no animals were harmed, so all is well. You're a good man Dale Howard.

John

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:32 AM
  • "Outline Symbols" - Just what I wanted, and Thank-You very much!
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:55 AM
  • Persson,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:48 PM