Drivers won't install error code 28 and update fix will not install 'this update does not apply to your system" RRS feed

• Question

• It all started when I noticed that my Win Vista 64-bit stopped looking for the drivers for USB memory devices, but now it will not access any drivers for USB devices including the printer, when I directed the install to the appropriate files it claimed there was an error (28).
    Follwing this I checked Microsoft help and was directed to an appropriate fix and so
    I was trying to install update:
    Windows6.0-KB940199-x64.msu
    -Install this update to resolve an issue where an error message is displayed when installing a new hardware device on a system running Windows Vista,

and it said the same error message, then I noticed there was an update for the update Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.msu, but neither work and all I get is -This update does not apply to your system

not a happy chappy, I have not been able to use any usb devices for days now, and would rather not have to restore...
    Any ideas?
    Cheers.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

Please perfrom a reboot and go into Safe mode to check whether the system can detect the usb device.

If it didn't work, I'd like to suggest you download and install Vista SP1 which has been released:

Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Hi Eric,

i did try another (wired mouse) but it still did not work. In the end there was nothing I could do, and so I re-installed Vista from scratch. I really have no idea how it got like this, I did not install any new programs and my hardware usage was limited to usb drives and an external usb HD. It looks like there are lots of other people having the same problem but no solution.

Anyway after reinstall it is working again, I lost some programs from my C drive, but at least I have my computer back and it is reading USB sticks.

Thanks for your help it is a shame we couldnt work anything out.

Jon

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to install this update:

Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB941600)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DAB2055A-EB6B-40E3-AE83-5200B7EF497B&displaylang=en

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for looking at my problem. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately after downloading the update, I got the same 'this update does not apply to your system message again.

Just to confirm - I am running a 64-bit system. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

Jon

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:12 AM
  • Hi Jon,

Sorry for my mistake, for x64 system, please download this version:

Download details: Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB941600)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A7AC2F4D-E66C-4B1C-BBDA-1C6A9F18B14C&displaylang=en

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:25 AM
  • I also have the same problem with my 32 bit system and the Update for Windows Vista (KB941600) comes up with the same error "this update does not apply" etc

I am at my wits end trying to get USB devices working on the system and now SP1 won't install....!

Quiggles

Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:27 PM
  • Hi Eric,

THanks again for taking note of my problem.

I successfully installed the driver you mentioned, but it did not appear to make any difference.

I have been searching online and it appears that this is a common problem with Vista. Do you think there might be a new update to fix this problem?

I am open to any other ideas.

Thanks again for your time,

Jon

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:45 AM
  • Hi Jon,

Please perfrom a reboot and go into Safe mode to check whether the system can detect the usb device.

If it didn't work, I'd like to suggest you download and install Vista SP1 which has been released:

Download details: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Hi Eric,
    I wish the problem was solved.
    After I installed SP1 I no longer had any mouse pointer display and nothing was fixed. So now I have to try to use the keyboard for everything. My mouse is not the usb type. Strangely and luckily keyboard still works.
    I am really not happy. I tried a system restore but this did not fix the problem.

Jon
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Hi Jon,

Did you try to replace the mouse with another one?

Also, please run "devmgmt.msc" to check whether there is any mouse in the list.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:13 AM
  • Hi Eric,

i did try another (wired mouse) but it still did not work. In the end there was nothing I could do, and so I re-installed Vista from scratch. I really have no idea how it got like this, I did not install any new programs and my hardware usage was limited to usb drives and an external usb HD. It looks like there are lots of other people having the same problem but no solution.

Anyway after reinstall it is working again, I lost some programs from my C drive, but at least I have my computer back and it is reading USB sticks.

Thanks for your help it is a shame we couldnt work anything out.

Jon

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Eric

It's certainly not fixed - and the SP1 5 language patch won't install either.

This is a mare!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:12 PM
  • I'm having the same exact problem and i cant figure out whats going on.  I've narrowed it down to products the use usb 2.0, i removed the usb 2.0 controller from device manager and tried to look for new hardware and it recognizes it but doesnt install the drivers...Ive done this from safe mode also, still no go, im guessing its some update because from what i remember it started after the last update i did on April 30th...I dont know what to do next, I have no idea what to do next...I really dont want to start over with a fresh install because its not the proper fix...There has to be a reason for why it is happening.

Friday, May 2, 2008 9:13 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem with my 32 bit vista system.  One USB port does not recognize any devices, and the other recognizes only 2 of 7 devices I use. 

Installing hotfix kb940199 produces the "does not apply to your system" error, and system restore does not solve anything.

This is extraordinarily frustrating!

A google of this problem shows that a disturbing number of other Vista users are having the same issue.  Obviously the INFCACHE.1 file is corrupt, yes?  I tried deleting it (moving and renaming), in the hopes that it would successfully rebuild itself.  But no. 

Please help...!
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:24 AM
  • I just gave up and reinstalled - really not good enough Microsoft...

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Ok, why is this marked as" answered", come on Microsoft! you can do better than that!

anyway, in my case i can't afford the down time of reinstalling vista, so i NEED a fix for this, and the sooner the better. this is where i would normally just repair windows (it worked just fine in XP) but you also neglected to put that function in vista as well! making it impossable to get a quick fix for problems like this!

Sunday, June 8, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Well, this is rediculous!

I have this issue and have tried every "fix" out there on the internet but nothing has worked. Every time I boot windows I get an alert telling me that windows has detected new hardware, I clicked install and my mouse pointer disappeard... new mice, usb and ps2 didn't work... GREAT

Eventually after many reboots and mouse changes later it came back (Not sure what I did) but that doesn't help me trying to read off of my goddamn USB disk.

It used to install drivers fine, but it seems one day that it just stopped working? Very frustrating...

I am running Vista Business 64bit with SP1.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 6:09 AM
  • I have created a new thread over here: https://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3489816&SiteID=17&mode=1
    Monday, June 16, 2008 6:15 AM
  • This is very frustrating. i cannot get a new ms lifecam cinema to work on a brandnew x64 Vista Home Premium.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:00 AM