none
dpm 2010 - Cross Domain Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I know it's fully supported in DPM 2010, but I am unable to connect to a server on the old APPLE domain with my DPM server on the CRANBERRY domain. The agent is properly installed with the parameter to point to the DPM server, but when I go to Attach Agents in Management/Agent Deployment, one APPLE domain server says the agent is already installed and the other says it is unable to connect.

When I am prompted for the server name, it insists that I use the FQDN for the new CRANBERRY domain even though it does not exist on the new domain at all - only on the old APPLE domain. Any tricks to making this work ?

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:49 AM Moving to DPM Workgroup Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you give it a try from DPM powershell. try attaching the server by executing the script Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 and fill up the fields/properties it prompts.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Attach-ProductionServer.ps1

DPMServer:: dpm01
    PSName:: obServer111
    UserName:: admin123
    Password:: *****************
    Domain:: apple

Thanks,

Parag Agrawal

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Parag Agrawal Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:13 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Parag Agrawal Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:12 AM
  • This is the error I receive:

There is failure while attaching production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 : When trying to retrieve information from the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service on server_name, access was denied.
    At line:1 char:28
    + attach-productionserver.ps1 <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Attach-ProductionServer.ps1

Verify that you have access to the WMI service on servername

• Edited by tgoetzman Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:38 PM
  • FYI - I now have 3 machines with the DPM agent installed manually that I cannot "contact" on another domain
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Can you please use the workgroup protection flow using the Example1 listed at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634193.aspx?
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 10:26 AM
  • If this is an untrusted domain member server, you should be using Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 from powershell (not Attach-ProductionServer.ps1) on the DPM server coupled with the SetDpmServer.exe command (with the -isnondomainserver switch) on the server you are trying to protect.

[edit]I just realized the link Praveen included links to the documentation for the commands I listed... follow the directions on that page and you should be ok... unless there is some other issue in the way.[/edit]

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:20 PM