Dynamic spanned disks RRS feed

• Question

• I created a dynamic disk on Windows 7 64 bit Professional ((6.1.7601) with all applicable updates verified 10 minutes ago) by connecting directly to a SATA connection on the motherboard.

I then tried moving the disk to my Startech drive dock (SATDOCK4U3E).  It is connected to my motherboard via USB3.0 connection.  The station has a e-sata connection by my motherboard does not.  Further looking at the newer motherboards, e-sata seems to be rare now as there are no Z170 motherboards listed on TigerDirect or NewEgg.

If I buy an e-SATA card should I be able to use the dynamic disk on my drive dock?

I am wanting dynamic disks because I am moving all my DVD's and BluRay disks to hard disk.  I am setting up multiple shortcuts to the movies with the book marks being stored in folders for actors, actresses, and directors.  For instance, the African Queen will have shortcuts stored under Humphrey Bogart, Catherine Hepburn, Robert Morley, and John Huston.  As my collection is quite large (over 8 large 500 slot folders of DVDs though some are not full like the only DVD folder), I am wanting to set the drives as dynamic spanning.  The first DVD folder alone almost filled a 4TB drive.

If Windows 7 will not support this, will Windows Server 2012?  I am expecting before I finish to be using at least 16 disk drives and I would like to clone the drives to a backup set.  Also if Windows Server 2012 and I must move to it, does Windows Server 2012 support DirectX 11?
    Friday, April 15, 2016 11:32 AM

Answers

• Hi NatalieEGH,

Based on my understanding, the main purpose is create dynamic disk, right?

“If I buy an e-SATA card should I be able to use the dynamic disk on my drive dock?”

The dynamic disk feature is based on Windows system, it is not affected be by motherboard.

we will be able to create dynamic disks as long as the Windows system is installed.

But considering the Startech drive dock is involved in this case, it is a 3rd party product. We are not familiar this product, it is suggested to contact to  Starttech support to confirm whether there are any limits using their drive dock.

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/4-Bay-eSATA-USB-3-to-SATA-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station-for-25-35-HDD~SATDOCK4U3E

https://www.startech.com/Support 

Best regards.

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:41 AM