none
krview - intelppm 95% - any ideas?

Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a performance-issue with a machine, procexp shows me unusual high cs on the interupts. Krview (5min) came back with 95% on intelppm (processor driver). No movement of the mouse and no keyboard interaction, mostly idle, just a remote connection tool running.

I've never seen this before and did not find any cases where this occured this severe.

Could you give me any clues how to dig deeper into this?

I'm familar with windows internals and used the debugger before (bsod, rootkit detection, just the basics), so you don't have to explain every step.

I don't have access to this system atm, but any hints are greatly appreciated !!!

thanks in advance

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi cobe,

Wonder if this topic may be of interest:
    Friday, July 25, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Hi molotov,

man, you are fast!

As far as I understand, this actually IS the processor idling. so this only occurs when there is nearly no activity on the system.

Still funny ...

I'm going to have a look at this with loaded symbols as soon as I have a chance (how could i forget this ...) and report back what I found out.

peace out
    Friday, July 25, 2008 9:11 AM
  • Hi everyone,

"kernrate_i386_XP.exe -s 5 -z intelppm -v"

all interupts are caused by AcpiC1Idle which is (apparently) normal in idle!

The solution to my issue was to remove F-Secure which brought down the machine! ("mighty" I/O filter ....)

So if you should be looking for, kernrate, krview, intelppm, AcpiC1Idle, high, %: ... this appears not to be an issue.

great forum btw.

peace out

cobe

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Good to hear you've found what was causing the problem, cobe.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:16 AM
  • Greetings to all members

I would like to add info about my case - high cpu load of "hardware interrupts" - during high HDD activity one cpu core was completely loaded by it. KrView reported 70-75% cycles used by intelppm and almost all others by hal. This was caused by incorrect connection of a second SATA HDD-drive.

mb ASUS P5B-PLUS, C2D E4300 overclocked, 2Gb, 8800GTS, WD3200AAKS, WD15EADS, BENQ1640, XP SP3 Pro

There are 6 SATA slots on the mb, 4 red for connection of primary (master) boot-HDD, 2 black for secondary data-HDD but initially my second WD15EADS was connected also to red SATA slot as first 3200AAKS. After reconnecting of seconf HDD to black SATA slot there is no more high cpu load by "hardware interrupts". KrView reports about 85% of cycles used by intelppm and tiny % by hal.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:18 AM