none
Hyper V 2012 VM replication and SharePoint 2013 support

Question

• Please can you let me know if it is supported to use the Hyper V 2012 replication feature for SharePoint 2013 VMs? We would like to replicate our 2 WFEs and 2 Apps servers to our Hyper V platform in another datacentre across our 1 Gpbs link. Are there any gotchas we should know about?

Thank you

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:38 PM

Answers

• SharePoint doesn't support replication, snapshots, saved states, or time sync.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Lee_Mather Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:41 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:21 PM

All replies

• Lee,

Quoting "Mike_Andrews" here...
    "Hyper-V replication is not a function that targets specific servers,roles or applications. It replicates virtual machines from one Hyper-V host to another, making it possible to switch hosting server on demand, or have a cold version of the VM standing by in case of a host failure. It is not a DR or HA strategy, unless you choose to make it so. In Hyper-V terms, HA most usually means Hyper-V servers running in fail-over clusters, where a Hyper-V host goes down, the VMs hosted automatically gets brought up by another Hyper-V host. With Hyper-V replica this is not an automatic procedure, but must be triggered manually, and the VM will only be as current as the last replica."

See these links

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Hello Sudip,

I have seen that and it doesnt really answer my question. I know some products such as config manager and exchange dont support Hyper V replica's, well they certainly didn't the last time i checked. Is there anything released from Microsoft specifically around SharePoint and Hyper V replication?

Thank you

Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:57 PM
  • SharePoint doesn't support replication, snapshots, saved states, or time sync.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Lee_Mather Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:41 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:21 PM
  • Thanks Trevor, is there a link or anything i can take a look at from Microsoft that states specifically that the Hyper V replication isn't supported?

Thank you

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:31 PM
  • Not specifically, but you can see in this article they talk about synchronization of the VMs, which isn't possible with replication/snapshots/etc.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ff621103(v=office.15).aspx#ConfigServ

Trevor Seward

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Thanks Trevor for pitch in. It helps.

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:11 PM