none
Deploy SINGLE report in a project deploys ALL RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to ask the community for help with a niggling problem I have.

Currently using Visual Studio 2015 Professional with SQL Server Data Tools (14.0.61709.290) installed.  I have multiple reports in my project however I cannot seem to deploy a single report without EVERYTHING in the project deploying.

I use right click in the Solution Explorer over the report I want to deploy then click "deploy" however the whole project re-deploys which takes ages.

Anybody have a solution to this or is it a bug or what?

Cheers!

With thanks, NECoder

Monday, October 23, 2017 1:23 PM

Answers

• THE FOLLOWING WILL FIX THIS ISSUE:

Uninstall SSDT V7.3 (14.0.61709.290)

Download V7.2 (14.0.61707.300) from the following page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/previous-releases-of-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt-and-ssdt-bi

Install V7.2

With thanks, NECoder

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:18 PM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:17 PM
  • I had just reloaded my work computer and ran into this exact issue.  I installed Visual Studio 2015 Pro (v14.0.25431.01 Update 3) with SQL Server Data Tools 14.0.61709.290.  After which, I ran into the bug where I could not deploy single reports.  When trying to deploy a single report, it would deployed the entire project, making a mess of our report server, as we have reports sorted into folders.  I thought that maybe it was a new deployment option, but I didn't see anything that allowed single deployment.

I uninstalled Visual Studio and installed it again (same 2015 pro /w update 3).  This time, I used an old copy of SQL Server Data Tools that we had saved (thankfully our service desk guy keeps software when he downloads it).  It was version 14.0.60923.0.  This fixed my deployment issue.  I am now once again able to deploy single reports.

Hopefully this tidbit of info will help someone else.

Regards,

Vincent

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Good news from Microsoft!

Greetings from Microsoft Connect!

This notification was generated for feedback item: Deploy SINGLE report in a project deploys ALL which you submitted at the Microsoft Connect site.

Hello,

This is fixed in the latest RS VSIX.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ProBITools.MicrosoftReportProjectsforVisualStudio#overview

Thanks,
    Matt

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread.

Sasha The Cat.

With thanks, NECoder

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Monday, November 27, 2017 8:41 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 8:41 PM

All replies

• It's by design that the complete project is deployed.

You can upload single reports via "Report Manager" web portal: Upload a File or Report (Report Manager)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, October 23, 2017 1:53 PM
  • I disagree.  Unless they specifically changed this feature recently?  I used to be able to deploy a single report by right clicking.

With thanks, NECoder

Monday, October 23, 2017 2:00 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/reports/publishing-reports-to-a-report-server

Not by design whatsoever. 

Thanks.

With thanks, NECoder

Monday, October 23, 2017 2:07 PM
  • Hi, I got the same problem after the ssdt v17.3 update......so I end-up uploaded reports that I didnt plan to upload....
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:20 AM
  • I have the same issue and its come at a really bad time because today we were due to to cut over to a new environment. Not cool! Version 17.2 works just fine, only our developers have already begun changing code using SSDT 17.3. I hope this is a bug and not the new design as it will be a nightmare to deal with! Any help that can be provided is much appreciated.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:06 AM
  • It's by design that the complete project is deployed.

You can upload single reports via "Report Manager" web portal: Upload a File or Report (Report Manager)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sorry as far as I can see we can still deploy individual reports

I think you're referring to SSIS when you say complete project is deployed. For SSRS it is still individual rdl files. Or has that been changed in latest VS shell? (I dont have one to test hence asking)

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:06 AM
  • It's a workaround, but certainly not by design.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. Pleased it's not just me!

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:33 AM
  • No, I'm referring to SSRS.

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:35 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I feel your pain, it's a nightmare.  Seems there is a possible bug in SSDT then.  Mine used to work then they re-built my computer and (possibly) a newer version of SSDT was installed.  Didn't catch the previous version.

Just for clarity, my version of SSDT says version: 14.0.61709.290 and I'm using Visual Studio Pro 2015 V 14.0.25420.01 Update 3.

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:40 AM
  • No, I'm referring to SSRS.

With thanks, NECoder

Sorry my question was not for you :)

I was asked on the quoted suggestion

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:44 AM
  • OK, no worries :)

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:46 AM
  • Hi Sasha_The_Cat,

As I tested in my environment, I downloaded the SSDT for Visual Studio 2015(17.3) from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt and meet the same issue. 

When I tried to deploy the single report, the whole project will be deployed. I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/ . If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to improve it in the later SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Best Regards,

Henry 

• Proposed as answer by Visakh16MVP Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I notice the version you have highlighted in your screenshot is the same version I am currently using (which isn't working)  Did that version work for you?

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:47 AM
  • OK sorry, I think I'm confusing the build number with version number.

I will do what you recommend and suggest this to Microsoft.

In your view do you think this is a bug or it is by design?  The documentation still states that single report deploy is possible.

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Reported to Microsoft:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/3142956/deploy-single-report-in-a-project-deploys-all

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Reported to Microsoft:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/3142956/deploy-single-report-in-a-project-deploys-all

With thanks, NECoder

Up voted

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Actually I'll not mark anything as an answer as I still have an issue!

With thanks, NECoder

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Reported to Microsoft:

With thanks, NECoder

Upvoted
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:33 PM
  • It looks like the bug that redeploys all reports only applies to choosing to Deploy  the report from the Build menu. I tried deploying my report by right clicking on the report in the solution explorer and choosing deploy from there. Lo and behold, it only deployed my one report instead of all the reports in the project. The bug still exists, but deploying from the solution explorer is an easy workaround!

Eric

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:55 PM
  • I had just reloaded my work computer and ran into this exact issue.  I installed Visual Studio 2015 Pro (v14.0.25431.01 Update 3) with SQL Server Data Tools 14.0.61709.290.  After which, I ran into the bug where I could not deploy single reports.  When trying to deploy a single report, it would deployed the entire project, making a mess of our report server, as we have reports sorted into folders.  I thought that maybe it was a new deployment option, but I didn't see anything that allowed single deployment.

I uninstalled Visual Studio and installed it again (same 2015 pro /w update 3).  This time, I used an old copy of SQL Server Data Tools that we had saved (thankfully our service desk guy keeps software when he downloads it).  It was version 14.0.60923.0.  This fixed my deployment issue.  I am now once again able to deploy single reports.

Hopefully this tidbit of info will help someone else.

Regards,

Vincent

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Vincent - Thank you for your comment on this thread.  The more people we have experiencing this bug the better, then hopefully Microsoft development team will do something about it.

I have a product bug request with Microsoft currently about this at:

With thanks, NECoder

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:52 AM
  • THE FOLLOWING WILL FIX THIS ISSUE:

Uninstall SSDT V7.3 (14.0.61709.290)

Download V7.2 (14.0.61707.300) from the following page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/previous-releases-of-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt-and-ssdt-bi

Install V7.2

With thanks, NECoder

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:18 PM
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:17 PM
  • I tried this fix but encountered another problem in that it left my solution in a state where I could not load any of my projects that had been built with v7.3.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 10:45 AM
  • It looks like the bug that redeploys all reports only applies to choosing to Deploy  the report from the Build menu. I tried deploying my report by right clicking on the report in the solution explorer and choosing deploy from there. Lo and behold, it only deployed my one report instead of all the reports in the project. The bug still exists, but deploying from the solution explorer is an easy workaround!

Eric

What's the workaround apart from installing SSDT 17.2? Even right-clicking on project in Solution explorer and selecting deploy is deploying everything in that project. 
    • Edited by VivDev Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:14 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Reported to Microsoft:

With thanks, NECoder

Upvoted.

Don't see any comments or response from Microsoft yet though. Anyone figured out a solution or workaround apart from installing SSDT 17.2.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:18 PM
  • I just install SQL Server 2017 V17.3 and SSDT 2017 V 15.4.2 and have same issue --
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:20 PM
  • Nope doesn't work still deploys whole project
    Friday, November 24, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Good news from Microsoft!

Greetings from Microsoft Connect!

This notification was generated for feedback item: Deploy SINGLE report in a project deploys ALL which you submitted at the Microsoft Connect site.

Hello,

This is fixed in the latest RS VSIX.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ProBITools.MicrosoftReportProjectsforVisualStudio#overview

Thanks,
    Matt

Thanks to all who contributed in this thread.

Sasha The Cat.

With thanks, NECoder

• Marked as answer by Sasha_The_Cat Monday, November 27, 2017 8:41 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 8:41 PM
  • The fix provided is for Visual Studio 2017 (preview).  Is there a fix for Visual Studio 2015 other than uninstalling 17.3 and installing 17.2?

• Edited by ked1117 Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:40 PM
  • I tried this fix but encountered another problem in that it left my solution in a state where I could not load any of my projects that had been built with v7.3.

I have this same issue.  Is there a resolution for projects that will not open after downgrading SSDT?
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:01 PM
  • Even though the connect issue is marked as completed and closed, it is still not released for VS2015 - which is what the issue is for.  

The last update said 12/12, however it is 12/13.  Is there any update?  This is killing us.  Thanks.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:44 PM
  • If anyone comes across this on google like me, it is still not posted on the link provided by MS above, however, after getting in touch with the MS folks, I got the link to the patch for VS2015.  It runs like a full install, but is indeed the fix and the patch.  I also test it.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=863440

Hope this helps others.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:55 AM
  • If anyone comes across this on google like me, it is still not posted on the link provided by MS above, however, after getting in touch with the MS folks, I got the link to the patch for VS2015.  It runs like a full install, but is indeed the fix and the patch.  I also test it.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=863440

Hope this helps others.

Can you confirm that this did fix the issue. Hope no other new issues have cropped up. Want to double-confirm before trying it out.
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:51 PM
  • It Worked.
    Friday, January 12, 2018 10:09 AM
  • Thanks. It works fine!
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Thanks, this fixed it for me.
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:33 AM