Getting an Error When Running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to install SharePoint Service 3.0 on MS Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.0. The installation of SharePoint Services went well (I chose the Basic option), but then when I run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, I've got the following error message:

"Failed to start the database service MSSQL$Microsoft#SSEE. Repair the product by selecting it from the Add/Remove Programs menu."

The problem is I don't have it either in Add/Remove Programs or in Services. My understanding was that when I install SharePoint Services on a stand-alone computer, SharePoint Services is installed with the internal Microsoft database so I don't need MS SQL installed as a prerequisite. Am I wrong? Am I missing something? Am I misinterpreting the error? And what should I do to make it up and running?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:54 PM

All replies

• When you select baic installation, that means that sharepoint will be installin in SQLEXPRESS, this is a product that comes with sharepoint it is very light and small, it has alot of limitation in size & number of concurrent connections ..etc

SQL Express will (most likely) be located in your windows here

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL"

think of this like access database file... only a file that have the capability of storing data..

To uninstall this internal windows database follow the steps mentioned in the this blog: (I guess he is talking about similar case)

http://www.shannonbray.com/2008/09/get-rid-of-wid.html

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:51 PM
  • > When you select basic installation, that means that sharepoint will be installin in SQLEXPRESS, this is a product that comes with sharepoint

This is inaccurate information

What is installed in a basic installation is a special version of SQl Server 2005 Express which is called the "Windows Internal Database". This product *is* listed in Add / Remove programs (as that)

There is also a normal SQL Server 2005 Express application. This is not installed as part as the Basic installation. The only possible reason to have a WSS 3.0 installation that includes that would be if you wanted to have a two server system running a free SQL Server version on the second server. Because of the 4GB database size limit of the standard SQL Server 2005 Express, this is a very rarely used possibility and two server systems typically use full SQL Server 2005 on the second server.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you. I have "Windows Internal Database" in Add/Remove Programs indeed.

But do you have any idea why I'm getting the message I described in my original post when trying to run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard: "Failed to start the database service MSSQL$Microsoft#SSEE. Repair the product by selecting it from the Add/Remove Programs menu."? I don't have the Repair option there, I can only uninstall it which is not the case as far as I understand...

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:59 PM