none
DPM failing due to cookies RRS feed

• Question

• We use DPM to backup various fileservers, some Win2008, some Win2003, and have real problems backing up some of the Windows 2003 file shares which contain user profiles, and many Browser Cookies. Certain of these cookies seem to be unable to be backed up, and eventually, DPM gives up, and flags the entire share as 'inconsistent'

Has anyone else seen this? is there a way to tell DPM to just ignore cookies completely?

Thanks, Peter

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:22 AM

Answers

• The problem appears to be caused by McAfee 8.7i denying access to several hundred 'undesirable' cookies, and DPM 2010 then marks the backup as inconsistent since many files on the filesystem never get delivered to the DPM agent due to the intervention of Antivirus.

Interesting, the problem does not occurr on a much bigger Windows 2008R2 fileserver which uses Forefront Endpoint Protection for Antivirus, and I assume therefore that FEP communicates to DPM when denying access to a file.

Regards, Peter

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Is the DPM server DPM 2007 or DPM 2010?

Thanks,

Marc

Friday, June 3, 2011 2:05 PM
  • Hi Marc,

It's DPM 2010

Regards, Peter

Friday, June 3, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi Peter. do you know if your antivirus product look for tracking cookies , i have seen one case where DPM was unable to backup profiles due to the antivirus locking some cookies (and breaking the roaming profiles)
    Monday, June 6, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I personally have not run into this issue, however our users' profiles do not reside on the file server as yours do.  That said....

DPM allows you to exclude file types or entire directories.  Since cookies are basically text files, it wouldn't be useful to exclude all .txt files, as you could potentially miss a legit file. The next option would be to exclude the directory in which IE (assuming everyone uses this browser), holds temporary internet files.  This should be pretty standard for most everyone, unless they have manually changed this setting.

The drawback to this would be if you have to manually exclude this directory for every user.  And in this case, it could take quite a bit of time to exclude depending on how many profiles you would need to visit.

In my opinion, neither of these options are that appealing for reasons stated above, however it could save you the sanity of failed synchronizations and inconsistancies.  Perhaps someone else can join in with a more useful suggestion.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Monday, June 6, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The problem appears to be caused by McAfee 8.7i denying access to several hundred 'undesirable' cookies, and DPM 2010 then marks the backup as inconsistent since many files on the filesystem never get delivered to the DPM agent due to the intervention of Antivirus.

Interesting, the problem does not occurr on a much bigger Windows 2008R2 fileserver which uses Forefront Endpoint Protection for Antivirus, and I assume therefore that FEP communicates to DPM when denying access to a file.

Regards, Peter

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:36 AM