Restore Site After any disaster RRS feed

• Question

• Iam working on sharepoint 2007.In my application i have created one site collection and this site collection have 4 sub sites. My concern is when the site crashes or during any disaster, can i restore the previous database backup(which iam taking on Regular basis) or should i take STSADM back up daily and restore the site using this. Which is better for restoring the site during any disaster either STSADM backup or attach the backuped database at the database level.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:40 PM

Answers

• I would prefer database restore over stsadm.

Disadvantage of stsadm:

Restoration using stsadm takes a longer time
    stsadm restore is more likely to fail in some cases where a master page of the site has changed or for some othre reasons
    stsadm site collectio backups affects performance and can cause access errors during the time of the backup

Advantages of database backup:

It can run in the back end while the site is still being accessible
    Backups can be scheduled from the SQL
    It contains all configuration settings related to the site collection - features, content etc.

Thanks,
    Dip

Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• I will suggest you to use backup/restore via stsadm, because it will keep any globally or web-application level deployed features/solutions settings (I hope).

Zorayr Zakaryan Lightning Tools

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:29 AM
  • I would prefer database restore over stsadm.

Disadvantage of stsadm:

Restoration using stsadm takes a longer time
    stsadm restore is more likely to fail in some cases where a master page of the site has changed or for some othre reasons
    stsadm site collectio backups affects performance and can cause access errors during the time of the backup

Advantages of database backup:

It can run in the back end while the site is still being accessible
    Backups can be scheduled from the SQL
    It contains all configuration settings related to the site collection - features, content etc.

Thanks,
    Dip

Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:39 PM
  • I would recommend database backup for the simple reason that stsadm fails with large sites and also, it may no restore to a farm with a different patch level.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:50 PM