I'm having video format problems when trying to run .avi files on my Xbox 360 through Windows Media Center. RRS feed

• Question

• To make a long story short, I'm trying to get my Xbox 360 to run Windows Media Extender. Everything installed and is working fine, I was able to troubleshoot several problems so that, FINALLY, my Xbox 360 is seeing my computer and is successfully accessing my video files.

HOWEVER, my video files (as most people's are) are in .avi format. For some reason my Xbox 360 refuses to recognize the format, meaning that either the video files don't show up or the Xbox 360 tells me that the format is not compatible with my Xbox 360.

I looked through a few forums looking for a solution, but most questions/responses were asked/replied to at least a year or two ago.

So I'm using this as a last resort. Does anyone know how to make an Xbox 360 from 2007 recognize and play .avi format videos in WMC or am I going to have to resort to converting all of my video formats to .wmv or something?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The following list contains Xbox 360 AVI support details:

• File extensions: .avi, .divx

• Containers: AVI
    • Video profiles: MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple and Advanced Simple Profile
    • Video bitrate: 5 megabits per second (Mbps) with resolutions of 1280 x 720 at 30 frames per second (fps)
    • Audio profiles: Dolby Digital 2 channel and 5.1 channel, MP3 
    • Audio max bitrate: No restrictions 

If there is third-party firewall or antivirus programs that use Transport Data Interface (TDI) filter drivers, please disable it. In Windows, one of the Winsock functions fails when you try to play this content on the Media Center Extender. This failure prevents the selected file from playing on the Media Center Extender.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:08 AM