none
Exchange 2010 high cpu usage RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I have an SBS 2011 server running exchange 2010 sp2 ru3 on a dedicated server.  The server is a new install and onsite about 3 weeks.

    The cpu is experiencing high usage from the store.exe and exchange.rpcclientaccess.service.exe processes

    Store.exe is a consistent 10% to 20%.  

    exchange.rpcclientaccess.service.exe is running from 15% to 30%

    Have rebooted and the problem comes back almost immediately.

    I have looked in the rpc logs and am getting a lot of similiar error messages - sample below

    2012-08-01T13:22:36.506Z,147,5354,/o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=xxxxx xxxxxx,,OUTLOOK.EXE,11.0.8303.0,Cached,,,ncacn_ip_tcp,,,1242 (rop::MaxSubmissionExceeded),00:00:00.0110011,,"RopHandler: SaveChangesMessage: [MessageSubmissionExceededException] Cannot save changes made to an item to store. -> [MapiExceptionMaxSubmissionExceeded] MapiExceptionMaxSubmissionExceeded: Unable to save changes. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1242) "

    There are hundreds of these in each log file for various users on the network.  

    Any help would be much appreciated

    thanks

    Noel 

    Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:55 PM

Answers

  • Hi James

    Got this sorted in the end. Exmon pointed me at a group of users with high activity.  When I looked at their mailboxes I found they were all at the max mailbox size of 8GB.  Their mailboxes on the previous server had been nowhere near this size. I investigated further and found a huge volume of data in their sync issues folder. This was basically junk that had been imported from the old server in the recovery process. Once I deleted the mails and reduced the mailboxes to a normal size the activity on the server went back to normal

    Thanks for all the help. 

    Noel 

    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:43 AM

All replies

  • The store cpu is fine, the exchange rpc could be a problem is someone constantly sending large attachments?

    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

    Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hi James

    Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with any user activity. The problems occurs at times when users are not active. 

    Noel 

    Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Fire up exmon to verify the the user activity and load to confirm.

    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

    Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Never had to use exmon before. Ran it on the problem server and on another clients server with a similar setup. The figures for the users on the problem server are much higher. I have 4 or 5 users with packets up around 15,000 on a 1 min interval.  Most users have more normal figures.

    I will go to site in the morning and see if I can see a reason on these users PCs for the high traffic.  

    Would you have any suggestions as to possible causes ?  I will obviously look for a virus or malware. The users themselves would not be generating this sort of traffic. 

    There is one other detail that might be relevant. Their previous server (also sbs2011) was damaged in a flood. We had to supply a new server and reinstall OS. We then restored exchange from tape to a recovery database and imported mailboxes. Could anything in this process cause this sort of error ?

    thanks

    Noel 

    Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:32 PM
  • It could be many reasons but the fact the error says MapiExceptionMaxSubmissionExceeded means they are submitting something to the outbox that is too large, sometimes third party apps\plug ins or old bugs with non outlook clients ie. entourage, maybe the ost sync is bad etc.


    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

    Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Hi James

    Got this sorted in the end. Exmon pointed me at a group of users with high activity.  When I looked at their mailboxes I found they were all at the max mailbox size of 8GB.  Their mailboxes on the previous server had been nowhere near this size. I investigated further and found a huge volume of data in their sync issues folder. This was basically junk that had been imported from the old server in the recovery process. Once I deleted the mails and reduced the mailboxes to a normal size the activity on the server went back to normal

    Thanks for all the help. 

    Noel 

    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:43 AM