none
Printer test page using all colors? RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 10 (x64), when I print a test page, the test page uses only blue and black ink.  Is there a built-in Windows test page that uses all four colors:  cyan, magenta, yellow, and black?  I want to periodically use my printer so the print heads do not get clogged.  So I would like to print a test page that uses all four ink cartridges.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:41 AM

Answers

• Hi cagross99,

Thank you for your update.

I mean that you could install related printer manufacturer software to choose the colors.

Windows build-in color is same as you said. Also when I click print a test page, it will print automatically without option to set. In printer color management, it also has no option to set the color. So please install related printer manufacturer software to check.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:45 AM
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

# Have you checked if ink cartridge of cyan, magenta and yellow is not empty? 

Almost all printers (ink jet printers) have a feature of test printing. Please provide make and model name of your printer.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

• Edited by Ashidacchi Tuesday, December 12, 2017 12:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:59 AM
  • >> Almost all printers (ink jet printers) have a feature of test printing.

Yes I am aware of this.  But I am asking if Windows has a built-in test page that tests all colors.  If not, I will try to find one elsewhere (e.g. printer manufacturer software).

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid Windows does not have test print feature in itself. I cannot imagine Windows (Microsoft) can know all about various printers by many makes.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:53 PM
  • >> I'm afraid Windows does not have test print feature in itself.

Windows does indeed have a built-in test print feature (screenshot).  This feature is available for all printers installed in Windows.  But as I mentioned in my original post, the page contains only colors black and blue.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hi,
    Based on my check, Printer test page option is located in Setting as the screenshot.

But same with you, it doesn't include more colors.
    You'd better print the test page with printer Property in Devices and Printers.
    It could choose other colors.

Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 11:07 AM
  • @Carl

>> You'd better print the test page with printer Property in Devices and Printers.
    It could choose other colors.

I opened Control Panel-->Hardware and Sound-->Devices and Printers, selected my printer, and opened Printer Properties.  In the General tab I clicked Print Test Page.  But that was the same page as before--using only blue and black ink.

Thoughts?

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Couldn't you just open Paint, or whatever windows 10 is calling it.. and then just print a page with a few colors on it? 

Rob

Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Yes, I should have mentioned that there are indeed easy workarounds like this.  I was wondering specifically though if there was a built-in Windows feature that could do it for me.
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:03 PM
  • I honestly am not sure in windows 10, but i know in 7 (Going back to NT4) you could test dark colors, but it was really designed to clear the nozzles of the DotMatrix printers, and anything using MICR for Check printing. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist in Windows 10, but i don't think it has ever existed for the purpose you are looking for.. 

Sorry couldn't be more help.. 

Rob

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:21 PM
  • I suppose your real issue is that your printer won't print with cyan, magenta, and yellow.
    Have you checked if ink cartridges are empty or injecting nozzles are dry or clogging?

Ashidacchi

Friday, December 15, 2017 11:54 PM
  • If you are using genuine  cartridges , which are not exhausted then  and You may test online:

http://printatestpage.com/

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, December 16, 2017 12:28 AM
  • Hi cagross99,

Thank you for your update.

I mean that you could install related printer manufacturer software to choose the colors.

Windows build-in color is same as you said. Also when I click print a test page, it will print automatically without option to set. In printer color management, it also has no option to set the color. So please install related printer manufacturer software to check.

Hope it will be helpful to you

• Marked as answer by cagross99 Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:45 AM
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:42 AM
  • @Carl thanks for the confirmation that Windows has no built-in feature to test all colors.  I'm going to mark yours as the answer.  
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

I'm glad I can help you.

Also you could check the color issue as Ashidacchi and S.Sengupta provided. Some printer manufacturer software could check the color and printer issue automatically.

Regards,

Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:51 AM
  • Right.  I'm already aware of these and using them.  This question was trying to ascertain whether or not Windows had a similar built-in feature.
    Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:53 AM
  • Hello Carl Fan,

I had the similar issue in past in Windows 10 (x64). There are many online printer test page tools available. which allow to print "Black & White Test Page", "" Color Test Page" and "CMYK Test Page". Hope you will get it.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:41 AM