none
dcdiag /test:dns error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing netlogon service issue at few of my domain client system, to check the server's work-ability i performed the dcdiag /test:dns command, AND received the following errors..

Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.104
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.106
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.110
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.112
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.113
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.114
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.116
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.121
                            Warning: Delegation of DNS server ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP:192.168.0.125

DNS server: ad.mydomain.com. IP:192.168.2.12 [Valid]

DNS server: 192.168.0.104 (ad.mydomain.com.)

1 test failure on this DNS server

DNS delegation for the domain _msdcs.ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP 192.168.0.104

[Error details: 1460 (Type: Win32 - Description: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)]

DNS server: 192.168.0.106 (ad.mydomain.com.)

DNS delegation for the domain _msdcs.ad.mydomain.com. is broken on IP 192.168.0.106

[Error details: 10054 (Type: Win32 - Description: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)]

Summary of DNS test results:

Auth Basc Forw Del  Dyn  RReg Ext
                _________________________________________________________________
                Domain: ad.mydomain.com

Domain-Controller            PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS PASS n/a  

......................... ad.mydomain.com passed test DNS

I received the above error for all the system names exists in DNS.

Any help please...

Mohammed...

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Mohammed,

The failed DNS seems to be on IPv6. Try disabling IPv6 and see how it goes.

>>I left without modifying anything in Root-Hints to default setting, i hope it is not an issue and the things are resolved...

As far as I know, the error is harmless and you could ignore it. Also , you could use forwarders instead of root hints.

In addition, if the information provided was helpful, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Mohammed,

Please first verify that the delegation records are correct. Check out all "Name Servers" tabs for all forward lookup zones and reverse lookup zones.Locate all servers with <unknown> in "IP Address" field and remove them. 

Open DNS Management console > navigate to your "mydomain.com" forward lookup zone and expand it.  Double click on the delegation for _msdcs (kind of a faded icon) to expand it, then you can right-click it and select properties.Delete invalid entries, than add new ones, using FQDNs for DNS servers that have the _msdcs.mydomain.com  forward lookup zone. 

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:47 AM
  • Thanks for your valuable reply @candy Luo, i tried the step you mentioned above, i founded the Backup Domain controller's IP had * at Name Space Tab, removed the same and re-included and executed the test again, earlier TEST Delegation got failed as mentioned above, now it shows Valid & Found SRV records,

only the root hint IPs getting error...Below is the error

DNS server: 2001:503:c27::2:30 (j.root-servers.net.)

PTR record query for the 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa failed on the DNS server 2001:503:c27::2:30               [Error details: 1460 (Type: Win32 - Description: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)]

DNS server: 2001:7fd::1 (k.root-servers.net.)

PTR record query for the 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa failed on the DNS server 2001:7fd::1               [Error details: 1460 (Type: Win32 - Description: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)]

DNS server: 2001:7fe::53 (i.root-servers.net.)

PTR record query for the 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa failed on the DNS server 2001:7fe::53               [Error details: 1460 (Type: Win32 - Description: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)]

DNS server: 2001:dc3::35 (m.root-servers.net.)

PTR record query for the 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa failed on the DNS server 2001:dc3::35               [Error details: 1460 (Type: Win32 - Description: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)]

I left without modifying anything in Root-Hints to default setting, i hope it is not an issue and the things are resolved...

Thanks for your valuable time and reply on my query...

Mohammed...

Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:57 AM
  • Hi Mohammed,

The failed DNS seems to be on IPv6. Try disabling IPv6 and see how it goes.

>>I left without modifying anything in Root-Hints to default setting, i hope it is not an issue and the things are resolved...

As far as I know, the error is harmless and you could ignore it. Also , you could use forwarders instead of root hints.

In addition, if the information provided was helpful, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Hi Mohammed,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, January 15, 2018 4:22 AM
  • Hi ,

Did you have any updates?

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:47 AM
  • Sorry for delay in response, was held up with Deployment scenario..its been resolved!

Had issue with Domain Server Network adapter and Backup Domain Controller IP had * mark in DNS-->Name Server property, correcting it done the things, IPV6 was enabled in few of the client PCs, unchecked all those...

Thanks for you people's valuable time and helpful answer as all the time...

Thanks again!!

Mohammed...

Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:42 AM