All HTML emails in PST files rendered as Plain Text after last Office update RRS feed

• Question

• The latest office 365 update (1906 Build 1172.20210) will no longer render emails in (in the PST file) as HTML . All are displayed as plain text.  Furthermore, when composing an email in HTML it appears to be fine, but it is actually sent as plain text.  The copy in the "sent" folder is plain text and the recipient receives a plain text email. 

Similarly if I compose a new email as HTML then save as a draft, then double click the draft it now shows as plain text.

The PST file has NOT been corrupted because if I transfer it to a PC running the previous office build 1905 11629.20246 (ie I haven't yet applied the latest update from yesterday) all HTML emails in the PST file render correctly.  

This definitely started with the latest office updated (released a day ago).  As I have multiple PCs running outlook (2xwind 10; 1x win 8.1) I tested with the previous version of outlook before the update, (no problems), ran office update, then tested again (now a problem).  To eliminate any account-specific causes, I tested on another user's PC with a separate (complete unrelated) office 365 account.  Same problem.

I also rolled back to version 1905 11629.2024 (ie June 11th) using the Office Deployment Tool on a PC which previously have the latest update  (1906 Build 1172.20210) and this fixed the problem. This proves conclusively that the problem was caused by the office update to build 1906 Build 1172.20210.

We are not using exchange; all emails are held in a PST file.  No settings have changed in outlook and for 20+ years all HTML emails have rendered correctly. As noted above ALL emails (80,000+) are affected -- they all now render as plain text.  

Basically it's impossible to view or send formatted emails containing tables, pictures etc. as all emails are converted to plain text.

peterhoa

• Edited by peterhoa Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:52 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Peterhoa,

This issue has been fixed in Version 1906 Build 16.0.11727.20230 released on 6/27/19.  To install the updated build immediately click File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now. 

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by peterhoa Friday, July 5, 2019 9:51 PM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are there any message shown in the Infobar at the top of the message?

I haven’t reproduced this HTML rendering issue on version 1906 here. But there could be some possible factors that cause this problem, we may need to rule out these factors first.

1. Please follow the steps below to uncheck the “Reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display the message” option and see if there is any difference.
        • Go to File > Option > Mail.
        • On the Message Format section and untick “Reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display the message”.

2. Besides, you can create a new PST file in the Outlook  (have installed the updates) and test to see if the issue can be reproduced.

3. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

4. In addition, It is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone, because some antivirus programs perform email scanning

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Aidan,

In reply to your questions above:

1. I unchecked"Reduce message size..." but it made no difference.

2. Creating a new PST file fixes the problem for that file. But note that the new PST has a format of "Outlook Data File" whereas our PST files have a format of "Outlook Data File (97-2002)", presumably because they were originally created over 20 years ago. As I understand that the old type is Ansi and the new unicode (I might be wrong there -- I don't get into that level of detail).   Yesterday I converted my pst file to unicode by importing in outlook but it didn't fix the problem.  I can see this may be related to the issue but  outlook should handle Outlook Data File (97-2002) files. It always has up to now. If suddenly it doens't then it's not our files that are the problem.

3. Starting in safe mode does not fix the issue.  We have no special add-ins installed.

4. We use defender anti-virus, standard as installed with Windows.  I turned off real-time protection and cloud protection but it did not affect the issue.

So far, the only way I can fix the issue is to roll back office to the previous build.  This is clearly not a long-term solution.

Thanks for your help.

peterhoa

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Sorry, I missed your first question. No there are no messages on the info bar other than the usual subject followed by "Message (Plain Text).  All HTML messages now display "Plain text".

peterhoa

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:37 AM
  • I had this same issue after the latest update. I spent hours trying everything I could think of to fix the issue. I also had to roll back to 1905 - 11629.20246.

Windows 10 1903 - 18362.175; Office 365

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:15 PM
  • This problem has now been acknowledged by Microsoft -- the cause affects user using older PST files ("Outlook Data File (97-2002)") -- and a fix is being prepared for future releases of office 365.  See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-2019-o365-license-keeps-downloading-emails/b5711ed0-3609-4743-a419-76207bc0ea3c 

peterhoa

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 10:04 PM
  • Hi Peterhoa,

Thanks for you sharing.

Yes, this issue has now been acknowledged by Microsoft and the Outlook Team is investigating this issue.

The issue only occurs if the PST File Format is "Outlook Data File (97-2002)"

For details, please refer to All emails are in plain text format for POP3 accounts.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:19 AM
  • Hi Peterhoa,

This issue has been fixed in Version 1906 Build 16.0.11727.20230 released on 6/27/19.  To install the updated build immediately click File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now. 

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

• Marked as answer by peterhoa Friday, July 5, 2019 9:51 PM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi Peterhoa,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:55 AM