change username of my user folder from "user" to my personal username RRS feed

• Question

• I had to send off my laptop to have Vista re-installed after a miserably failed download of service pack 1 (and not knowing I had to make my own reinstall disks on an hp laptop). Anyway they did a great job and I got them to put in a larger hard drive and more RAM at the same time so it wasn't a total waste of time :-)

It's only an irritation that I have now is that the person who set it up gave me "User" as a username, I've changed it for login purposes, but my folders sit in "C:\Users\User". It's not a functional problem but it's totally bugging me!!!! How do I rename it or do I have to create users and delete profiles etc etc etc. I'll do that if I have to because it's going to be that big of a deal to me :-) I was just wondering if there was a shorter way...

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

You can change the username by the following method:

Click Start, right click on computer, select Manage, Under Local Users and Groups, select and expand "Users."  Then you can right click on the User and rename it.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

You can change the username by the following method:

Click Start, right click on computer, select Manage, Under Local Users and Groups, select and expand "Users."  Then you can right click on the User and rename it.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:35 AM
  • I TRIED THAT ON MY WINDOWS 7 LAPTOP AND COULD not find the "Under Local Users and Groups, select and expand "Users." part of your answer.please help

Christina

Saturday, June 25, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Hi Christina,

It has been long since we resolved this issue. It is suggested to create a new thread to attract more attention and focus on one issue per thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:30 AM