App-V 5.0 NLB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I can't seem to find an online answer to my query.

Does App-V 5.0 support Microsof NLB in the same way as was possible with the 4.5/4.6 App-V release?

Want to build 2 x multi-role App-V combined management/publishing/reporting servers and implement NLB without incurring cost of a 3rd party dedicated load balancer.

Databases will be on seperate cluster and DFS will take care of content share high availability.

No SCCM involved.

Thanks

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:26 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't cluster IIS, but the article talks about each role behind a load-balancer. My preference is a dedicated load balancer (we deploy NetScaler VPX for our customers); however NLB will suffice.

This article uses 'cluster' to refer to the IIS server load-balanced with NLB; however I don't read that to mean that IIS is clustered: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740265(v=ws.10).aspx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:20 PM

All replies

• The App-V 5 server components are all hosted in IIS, so what should apply to IIS should apply to App-V 5.0

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for that Aaron.

I take it you haven't had a chance to try this in the wild yet ? :-)

Basically we are saying if IIS is set up as standard with NLB , then it should be ok to go.

I saw the MS quick publish article on v5.0 HA and wondered why it was basically a link to IIS clustering.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2780309

This mentions traditional failover clustering, but not NLB...

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:01 PM
  • I wouldn't cluster IIS, but the article talks about each role behind a load-balancer. My preference is a dedicated load balancer (we deploy NetScaler VPX for our customers); however NLB will suffice.

This article uses 'cluster' to refer to the IIS server load-balanced with NLB; however I don't read that to mean that IIS is clustered: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740265(v=ws.10).aspx

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Thanks again Aaron,

I had good results with my 4.6 HA and wanted to continue the trend!

I see where you going with the terminology, makes sense.

Could be a job for the lab here, but NLB should do the trick.

Appreciate the input

Friday, January 18, 2013 6:30 PM
  • I currently have AppV 5.0 Load Balanced using NetScalers in my environment and it seems to work well.  My setup uses GLSB across 2 sites.
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 6:15 AM