Outlook 0365 desktop version - slow to expand folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

One of my user has many folders inside folders in her Inbox.  She likes to move her emails to these folders and subfolders by right click on an email and select Move, then she has to expand her folders which takes a long time to expand as she has many folders and subfolders.  In Outlook 2010, expanding folders is very quick.  OWA does not have this issue.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• Edited by phathuynh27 Friday, October 4, 2019 8:00 PM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi phathuynh27,

Depending on the number of subfolders, facing certain delays is expected. Even though the recommended folder limit is 500 folders in total, it's advisable to keep them at a reasonable number and to not even go close to that limit no matter what the Outlook version is.

However, I can advise you to update video (graphics cards) drivers to the latest versions in user's client to see if that makes any differences. You can also disable graphics hardware accelerator and test that:

• In Outlook, navigate through "File > Options > Advanced".
    • Under Display, check/select the option "Disable hardware graphics acceleration".
    • Click OK.

Regards,
    Burak V.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 15, 2019 5:37 AM
    Saturday, October 5, 2019 9:22 AM
  • What do you mean by "In Outlook 2010, expanding folders is very quick"?

I checked in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016, the "Move Item" dialog is same.

Besides, if you frequently move specific emails to some sub-folder, it would be better to create a rule to automatically move these emails.

Please feel free to post back with more details to see if it helps.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 5:29 AM
  • Hello Perry, the dialog is the same but the time it takes to expand subfolders are quicker in Outlook 2010 than it is in Outlook 2016.
    Monday, October 7, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Thank you.  I will try this and report back.
    Monday, October 7, 2019 5:33 PM
  • I checked on Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2010 but didn't find the difference on my side. Do you mean when you click the arrow to expand the folders, Outlook takes a while to finish this?

If Burak's suggestion doesn't work, I'd like to recommend you try opening Outlook in safe mode to check if there are any difference.

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Hello,

Safe Mode did not help.

Disable hardware graphics acceleration did not help either.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:13 PM
  • Hello Perry, the dialog is the same but the time it takes to expand subfolders are quicker in Outlook 2010 than it is in Outlook 2016.

How long does it take to expand folders? Do you click the small arrow to expand them? Does Outlook freeze? I'm not sure what you mean by"quicker“.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:03 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:02 AM
  • About 30 seconds to drill down folders.  In Outlook 2010 it takes a few seconds to do the same task.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:40 PM
  • First, I would agree with Burak, it's advisable to keep them at a reasonable number. Outlook takes a long time to enumerate the folders.

Official article: Outlook performance issues when there are too many items or folders in a Cached mode .ost or .pst file folder

Then, you may test this in a new profile to see if there are any improvements.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by AnnieDs Friday, October 11, 2019 5:11 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:51 AM
  • I’ll write a brief summary here for your information:

[Issue Symptom:]

====================

Slow to expand folders when moving emails.

[(Possible) Cause:]

====================

it's advisable to keep them at a reasonable number. Outlook takes a long time to enumerate the folders.

[Troubleshooting Steps so far:]

1. Select "Disable hardware graphics acceleration".
    2. Try safe mode
    3. Decrease the number of folders

[Reference:]

====================

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2768656/outlook-performance-issues-when-there-are-too-many-items-or-folders-in

• Edited by Perry-Pan Saturday, November 9, 2019 1:40 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 2:27 AM