none
Server Administration console RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading the PerformancePoint Server 2007 Planning & Architecture Guide and under Monitoring Server roles on page 97 it talks about the Administrator. Here it tells me that "Memembers of the Administrator role have access to the Server Administration console, which is used to grant object and server roles to other users. The administrator group on the computer running Monitoring Server is automatically added to this role, and it cannot be removed." Can some one tell me where the Server Administration console is located? I am not having any luck finding this and currently no one can create a dashboard if they are not part of the local admin group on the server. Thanks for you help.

Michael

Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information helpful
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I believe it is refering to Dashboard Desinger.  The reason why only admin's can get into Dashboard Designer is because users don't have access.  In DD go to the Windows Pearl (windows icon)->Options->Server Tab->Click Connect->Permissions
    Here you can add your users or a group of users or the NT_authenticated users group as power readers.

Then they will not need to be Admin's on the server. 

Aseem Nayar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by MAGrimsley Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:20 AM
    • Edited by AseemN Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:43 PM fix spelling
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I believe it is refering to Dashboard Desinger.  The reason why only admin's can get into Dashboard Designer is because users don't have access.  In DD go to the Windows Pearl (windows icon)->Options->Server Tab->Click Connect->Permissions
    Here you can add your users or a group of users or the NT_authenticated users group as power readers.

Then they will not need to be Admin's on the server. 

Aseem Nayar - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by MAGrimsley Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:20 AM
    • Edited by AseemN Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:43 PM fix spelling
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:56 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Planning Administration Console (PAC) is used Planning Pillar and it is installed from Planning Server Configuration Manager.  PAC is nothing to do with Monitoring.  FYI: Default link is http://servername : 46788

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Thanks for both of your replies; Sundar, the Planning & Architecture Guide was very specific in terms of how to add users to the monitoring server and this is the only place according to documentation where the security for monitoring server is managed. Aseem, I am not familar with your abbreivation of "DD". Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks

Michael
    Monday, January 19, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Michael,

Can you send a link as to what guide you are looking at.  There is some confusion here and looking at the guide saying Server Administration Console for Monitoring doesn't look right.  I'll get that wording fixed. 

PPS is made up of two very distinct and different pillars.  There is PPS Planning and there is PPS Monitoring.  You setup access for PPS Monitoring in Dashboard Designer (DD) and you setup security access for PPS Planning Admin Console (PAC) and some security in Planning Business Modeler (PBM). 

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Assem;

Thanks for the response, the link is below and you can find what I am talking about on page 98 under "Monitoring Server roles" the "Administrator" bullet point.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161069.aspx

Michael
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:03 PM