none
Active Directory and DNS RRS feed

All replies

• You can install the DNS Server role on any Windows Server. You can use PowerShell or the Server Manager and pick "Add new role".

There are caveats though.

AD DS highly relies on DNS. If DNS is down, clients won't be able to locate a DC and won't be able to authenticate anymore, and DCs won't be able to replicate with each other either. Total outage.

DNS is not a multi-master technology. Installing DNS on a domain controller gives you the ability to use AD Integrated Zone which allows two things:

1. Multi-master model as it the DNS zone data will replicate with the other AD data
    2. Secure dynamic update, in a nutshell, you'll need to be domain joined to modify DNS records

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

It's recommended to install DNS role on domain controller , to be able to create AD integrated DNS zone. This kind of DNS zone will be replicated automatically on all domain controller with DNS role to ensure the high availability in case of failure DC.

If you choose to separate DNS server and active directory , the DNS configuration can be redundant. 

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Sunday, November 17, 2019 8:55 PM
  • We have network problems that's why I want to that
    Monday, November 18, 2019 6:00 AM
  • thank you  brother i well see that
    Monday, November 18, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi JAAVAR,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

〉〉〉Can I install DNS on a server and Active Directory on another server?

Pretty sure it’s installed by default when you install active directory, ideal scenario if you have the hardware is to have a second domain controller and dns should your main one go down or need maintenance,AD is reliant on DNS so domain controllers are dns servers for the AD domain,If you need an additional external domain I'd consider using the domain registrar for this.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

I hope this information can help you.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:13 AM
  • thank you for advice
    Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:07 AM
  • yes Vicky that very helpful

thank you

Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hi JAAVAR,

Thank you for your update

Best Regards,

Vicky

Monday, November 25, 2019 1:25 AM