none
Actual work column does not reflect the detailed actual work RRS feed

• Question

• In Microsoft Project 2007 Thick Client the column “work” & column “actual work” show different values. Please help..

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:28 AM

Answers

• Thanks Jan for pointing out, I missed adding this point that Work would turn to 5hrs even though in the last line I did mention that Work includes Remaining, Actual and Overtime work. So whatever is actual and remaining Work , Work picks it calculated value.

But Actual work can be larger then work as anyways Work reset itself no matter large or small actual work (based on hrs in remaining Work reset) so even larger actual work is feasible.

Sapna S
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Ankit,

Work is basically the estimated work while Actual Work is the Actual work hours reported against that estimated work. So it can be same or different.

Say you estimated that Debugging would required 1 Resource 4 hours, so your Work is - 4hrs. But when resource really start to work he may finish early or later. Say he reported 5hrs in Actual hours. So estimated was 4 hrs of Work but Actual Work was 5hrs.

Work actually includes actual work and remaining work, as well as overtime work when time begins to be reported against a task. You can refer to defination of Work and Actual Work in help file of MS Project.

Sapna S

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry Sapna, but when the resource reports 5 hours of Actua Wor Project immediately resets Work to 5 hours as well. Actual Work is never larger thanWork: that would creat a negative remaining work!

But when actual work reported is SMALLER than work then remaining work = work - actual work so work and actual work can be different!

Greetings,

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:11 AM
  • Thanks Jan for pointing out, I missed adding this point that Work would turn to 5hrs even though in the last line I did mention that Work includes Remaining, Actual and Overtime work. So whatever is actual and remaining Work , Work picks it calculated value.

But Actual work can be larger then work as anyways Work reset itself no matter large or small actual work (based on hrs in remaining Work reset) so even larger actual work is feasible.

Sapna S
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi again,

Sorry, I'll be short. Actual work will never, never, never, be larger than work whatever you manipulate.

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Sorry Jan its more like my conveying the message then our view points.

When I said Actual Work can be greater or smaller then WORK : I meant that estimated work may be 4 hrs (so WORK so far unless Actual is reported) now actual can be reported as 5 hrs (so estimated work was 4hrs but actual 5 hrs; I meant this estimated Work not the WORK field which would anyways would be reset to 5hrs).

Sapna S
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Thank you all

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:40 AM
  • You are Welcome Ankit, I guess I didn't confuse you too with estimated Work and Work Field and Actual Work :) actually Jan pointed, then I realised that when I said estimated Work I should have clarified that I m not refering to the WORK field once actuals are updated.
    Sapna S
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:44 AM