none
migration from 2008 server to 2012 R2 DHCP - general advice and any problems? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I tried to migrate DHCP using backup and restore the other week but did not realise that using 2008 backup wouldn't go hand in hand with using that as a restore for 2012 R2. quite silly.

Anyway I can see there are a few different articles around the web as well as Technet for migration; can people please let me know what errors or problems they may have encountered using powershell Export-DHCPserver commands and DHCP failover in Server 2012 R2?

I was going to migrate off the older Windows 2008 R2 server to one 2012 R2 server but not sure if that is recommended or indeed viable.

My two servers are in one subnet, not sure if I create or use another DC as a failover if this then affects DHCP - it being in another subnet entirely? 

I read this blog - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2012/09/10/migrating-existing-dhcp-server-deployment-to-windows-server-2012-dhcp-failover/ - and it is different to this article - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/dn495428.aspx

Can someone who has migrated DHCP off 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2 let me know which method they have used, and any problems that might have occurred? I obviously haven't done this before and would appreciate pointers.

ALSO I don't want to do DHCP failover as due to the setup of these servers it isn't plausible - I have 2 different subnets and IP pointers on the 2008 R2 server.

thanks.

• Edited by Katwoman07 Monday, February 1, 2016 7:22 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 7:12 AM

Answers

• HiYou can follow these steps for migration 

- cmd console "netsh dhcp server export c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" ->enter

- stop dhcp service and set start up type "disabled"

- copy "dhcpbackup.txt"file from 2008 to 2012 (on c dirve or etc)

- install DHCP role on Server 2012 but do not configure or create any scope.

- also check for is there any scope on 2012 "netsh dhcp server Show scope" if there is any "netsh dhcp server delete scope(ip of scope) dhcpfullforce" to delete

- "netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" (where the backup file avaible)

-Finaly server manager->Tools->Open DHCP check the situation (if there is a red cross on,right click on dhcp server click "authorize" and "activate",

Then configure dhcp failover cluster,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831385.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Finaly you need to configure IP helper address on routers for point to your new dhcp server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Monday, February 1, 2016 11:19 PM

All replies

• you can install windows 2012 dhcp server first, then you can export all the dhcp information from 2008 server using power shell dhcp module. it will gather all the leased information also, then you can do the cut over migration.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj590659(v=wps.630).aspx

Darshana Jayathilake

Monday, February 1, 2016 7:35 AM
  • cool thanks. Have you used this method, was it smooth?

also do you have to have DHCP failover?

Monday, February 1, 2016 11:00 PM
  • HiYou can follow these steps for migration 

- cmd console "netsh dhcp server export c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" ->enter

- stop dhcp service and set start up type "disabled"

- copy "dhcpbackup.txt"file from 2008 to 2012 (on c dirve or etc)

- install DHCP role on Server 2012 but do not configure or create any scope.

- also check for is there any scope on 2012 "netsh dhcp server Show scope" if there is any "netsh dhcp server delete scope(ip of scope) dhcpfullforce" to delete

- "netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcpbackup.txt all" (where the backup file avaible)

-Finaly server manager->Tools->Open DHCP check the situation (if there is a red cross on,right click on dhcp server click "authorize" and "activate",

Then configure dhcp failover cluster,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831385.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Finaly you need to configure IP helper address on routers for point to your new dhcp server.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Monday, February 1, 2016 11:19 PM
  • Hi Burak,

thanks, so DHCP failover for 2 different DCs on different subnets would work? that is my only concern there with DHCP failover. My other domain controllers are in completely different subnets. 

yep I have my network team ready to change the IP helper on the switch when necessary.

cheers

Katwoman

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 12:28 AM
  • Hi Burak

I also have the 169 address in my DHCP scope on the new server. I haven't migrated anything or performed my work yet. How can I ensure that there isnt problems with the DHCP set up on this other DC?

DHCP mgmt console has no errors. I removed the bindings and will unauthorise it to prepare for the work.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Hi Burak,

thanks, so DHCP failover for 2 different DCs on different subnets would work? that is my only concern there with DHCP failover. My other domain controllers are in completely different subnets. 

yep I have my network team ready to change the IP helper on the switch when necessary.

cheers

Katwoman

Hi

First of all failover cluster could not recommended on Domain Controller with Server 2012,you should configure dhcp failover cluster on member servers.Dhcp failover cluster can work with different subnets when they can Access each other with necessary ports.

Check DHCP Failover Communications

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn338987.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Hbestregards Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Hi

there isnt any scope configure on migration proccess.So you should backup 169 address then remove this scope(netsh commands).When the migration successfully complete,you can import this 169 scope from your backup.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi Burak,

Why would I backup the APIPA address that my DC has given itself?

How will this affect my DC with enabling bindings and authorization - I also cannot unauthorize it without stopping the DHCP server service.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

Ok so don't use another DC for failover? I have read some people's sites where it appeared that they did this. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:29 AM
  • Hi

there isnt any scope configure on migration proccess.So you should backup 169 address then remove this scope(netsh commands).When the migration successfully complete,you can import this 169 scope from your backup.

I also already ran netsh dhcp server show scope and the 2012 R2 DC doesn't see any scopes. It assigned itself an APIPA address after DHCP was installed. 
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:31 AM
  • Hi Burak,

cheers

Katwoman

Hi

First of all failover cluster could not recommended on Domain Controller with Server 2012,you should configure dhcp failover cluster on member servers.Dhcp failover cluster can work with different subnets when they can Access each other with necessary ports.

Check DHCP Failover Communications

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn338987.aspx

yes sorry I didn't mean using a cluster, thanks, just wanted to set up the failover on another DC so that should be fine. cheers.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:04 AM