none
Exchange 2003 Std. SP2, Outlook 2010 Problem exactly after every one week, require reboot to start working again RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts,

We have exchange 2003 standard sp2 on Windows 2000. On client side we have Outlook 2010. All was working well, but from last one month it started like on Saturday users face same problem that outlook 2010 displays in status, updating folder ....... and this keeps there, until we reboot the exchange 2003 server. We did not changed any thing.

Once server is rebooted it continues to work for 6 days and again on Saturday same problem arises.

Any suggestions for this ? I could find any thing relating to this in Application log. Any help would be highly appreciated in this regard.

Soon we have plan to go for Exchange 2010 as new hardware already ordered.

but for now I am looking for experts help.

Thanks,

Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:01 AM

All replies

• What effects does it have on user? I assume this is in cache mode on client side?

Sukh

Sunday, January 6, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Yes, on client side accounts are configured as 'Use Cashed Exchange mode' , the effect it have on user is that, no receiving of emails. For example if I send test email to myself locally I will not get it. Same for email coming from out side. Once restarted, those emails reach to concerned users inbox.

Kindly help for the subject.

Thanks,

Sunday, January 6, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Is this fir all users?  Does OWA work internally when this happens? Nothing in the event logs? Have you tried creating a new user & profile during the time you have this issue to see if that works (online mode & cache) .

Sukh

Sunday, January 6, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Hello,

Also try rebuilding the user profile and see if it works.

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Yes, this effects all users when happen after a week time, they see their outlook 2010 saying 'updating folder' xyx folder and this status stays there.

No I did not tried if OWA works internally at that time, also I did not tried creating user account & profile at that time.

Any thing you can figure out ?

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:20 PM
  • I would test the above and report back the results.

Sukh

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:36 PM
  • OK!

Next it happens I will try what you asked and report you back.

thanks,

Monday, January 7, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Support for Windows 2000 Retired long time back and current configuration is unsupported.

Secondly, appears like an NSPI issue that you are being hit with! does EXBPA suggest any thing?

is EXBPA Health check clean ?

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Sunday, January 13, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Dear Sukh828,

Today we faced the same problem again, Outlook saying updating sent items, OR updating calender, Or updating inbox. But message stays there. So as you suggested I tried to access OWA internally & I was able to open the webpage and log in using my credentials.

Can you please share your experience what next to see to trouble shoot this problem.

Dear M.P.K please advise, can I use EXBPA in my case like I explained the exchange 2003 is installed on Win 2000 Domain controller. If I can run which version of EXBPA will work for me.

thanks,

Wajeeh

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Dear M.P.K,

please advise, can I use EXBPA in my case like I explained the exchange 2003 is installed on Win 2000 Domain controller. If I can run which version of EXBPA will work for me.

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Download the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer from www.exbpa.com. the tool that you would need to be running should be specific to exchange.

As i stated earlier, is suspect this to be a NSPI Issue.

So, Ping back with the EXBPA result.

M.P.K ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Just realised about your OS and Exch is on a DC.

Can you make plans to move Exch to a server for itself and upgrade your DC OS,

I would probably look at Exch 2010...

Sukh

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Dear M.P.K

I have downloaded the tool and now have report saved as .xml file, I do not understand much in that report, Please tell me how I can send it to you? so that you can verify if it is NSPI thing as you mentioned earlier or something else?

please let me know so that I can send report to you.

thanks,

Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Yes, we have plan to move exchange to different server and upgrade the DC but for now I need to to fix this problem
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:18 AM
  • Dear Sir,

Please let me know where I can send you the Exbpa results ? I have a report with me now.

Waiting for your reply.

thanks,

Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Is it EXACTLY the same time?  It suggest something may be running to cuase this? AV/backups etc...I would look at those logs. When you do login to OWA can you send & receive internally/externally?

Sukh

Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Sorry about the delay in replying back. stuck with few other priority things and hence not able to reply.

can you email your exbpa reports to mp.kumar.mca@gmail.com ?

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Last it happened on 20th Jan and before that on 14th Jan. One more thing when ever we face this problem Outlook says 'updating xyz folder' this is always morning time 9:00am , 9:30am

One re start fix the case for 6/7 days then.

thanks,

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:02 AM
  • what logs you want to see exactly let me know. so I will send you.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hello,

I sent you the results of ExBpa to the given email address.

Thanks for support on the subject.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:03 AM