none
ie10 pre-release will not uninstall back to ie9 RRS feed

• Question

• I was running w7 and ie9, and I'm a developer with vs2003, vs2005, vs2008 and pb6 installed amongst other stuff.

I installed ie10 pre-release, but I'm getting too many problems with pages that just dont work.

So I tried to follow the uninstall instructions on the ie10 faq page ... but they dont apply to me.

I do not have it in 'installed updates' or as an installed program. I have 'ie10' appearing in 'windows features' where 'ie9' should be.

If I uncheck that and reboot and then try to install ie9, it tells me that it is already installed.

I obviously have a system setting that has been 'taken over' by the pre-release install.

I think that is a bug, and I would like some support from someone in microsoft, but there does not seem to be a way in !

Help ! (Please)

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:05 PM

All replies

• "I installed ie10 pre-release, but I'm getting too many problems with pages that just dont work." - indicates you don't know html, css or scripting see w3c.org

see Document Compatibility

or check your IE Compatibility View settings....

Web site development questions should be posted to the MSDN IE Web Development forum (with links to your website)

had a look in Control Panel>Programs and features.... there appears to be no uninstaller for IE10 RC... the RTW is due out this month...

both versions allow incremental updates (Help>About Internet Explorer)

being a developer you probably did do a backup first... right?

Your MSDN subscriptions entitle you to a number of free support calls... support.microsoft.com

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Well its just been updated to v10.0.9200.16441 (kb2792100). No changes I can detect.

I think I've pinned down my most intrusive problem to the fact it isn't running java.

The latest is installed (in fact I just uninstalled all java and then reinstalled to make sure I have as 'clean' an install as poss). The 'manage add-ons' dialog unhelpfully shows my java 7.0.130.20 as 'New' and has both enable and disable buttons disabled. Restarting the pc makes no difference.

The worrying fact is that there are 2 instances of the same 'Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper', with the #2 showing as 0.08s load time, but nothing for the other (older ?) one. This makes me think that there is something blocking it fro working properly.

(Everything is fine in Firefox of course, but our corporate webs will only support ie)

(Oh, and it is corporate web pages that arnt working, I'm an embedded developer)

(Oh, and of course I don't have a recent backup cos the it dept are dragging their feet delivering a new backup drive, and the nas backup we've been experimenting with is impossible to use over our corporate dog-slow network.)

• Edited by phil_h Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:19 PM
  • And I forgot to mention that it wont do popups - the popup blocker is turned off.

And it wont 'open in a new window' - dont even get an error message when I dont get the new window.

Please let me go back to ie9 :(

phil h

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:59 AM