AppV Management Servers - Server Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible for an AppV Management Server to be a member of more than one group? and if not how can a server be moved from the default group to a new one? 

We currently have 5 Management Servers, split between 3 sites, all configured for the content share on the same DFS root. 

There is a requirement for some applications to be limited to 2 management servers (management servers on the same site, use the same DNS alias for appv purposes).  I am considering doing this by using the default server group for applications that are required everywhere and server groups for more restricted application distribution.  Another option if a server cannot be in 2 groups is not use an application group for apps required everywhere, just using a group where required.  Can't do this with user groups as the applications concerned need to be site based and users move between sites.

Is server groups the best option to achieve this?

Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:18 PM

Answers

• A server can only be listed once in the Management database, therefore a server can only be a member of one server group. To move servers to another group, you'll need to delete and recreate the server object in the console.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, December 8, 2012 10:07 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:08 PM

All replies

• A server can only be listed once in the Management database, therefore a server can only be a member of one server group. To move servers to another group, you'll need to delete and recreate the server object in the console.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Thanks for the information, I suspected this was the case, does doing this have any effect on the AppV setup/applications on the servers other than the server group in the database?
    Monday, November 26, 2012 2:27 PM
  • No, applications are listed in the database, but moving a server to another group should just affect which applications are sourced from that server.

• Unmarked as answer by DeniseJacques Friday, January 25, 2013 10:57 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Can anyone help with an issue with AppV Server Groups following on from the above thread, or have any experience of either using server groups?  The server group amendment in the AppV setup below was to facilitate restricting applications to specific campuses to comply with licensing restrictions, however, this has not been successful.  A means of achieving this has been obtained by running a pre-stream script within the applications osd file, however, this is untidy in that the application still appears in the start menu and an error message is displayed when launching the app.

The university currently has 6 AppV servers, split between 4 campuses set up as follows:
    Wolverhampton and Walsall Campus - 2 servers each, DNS alias used with load balancing, GP assigns server to client dependent on OU or IP address, using registry keys and env variable.
    Telford and Burton Campus - 1 server each, GP assigns server to client dependent on OU or IP, again using reg keys and env variable.
    DFS used to assign Default Content Path, with DFS targets for Content Shares on AppV Servers, published apps available on all servers
    Initially set up with only default Server Group
    Server Groups amended in December, Default Group deleted and groups set up on per Campus basis
    Apps amended to either use no server group or specific server group as appropriate
    Server Groups show associated apps on the applications tab and the AppVirt Database shows changes for server groups

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:58 AM