Trouble renaming Files in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this has been asked before but i am super annoyed with this. Most of the time when i try to rename a folder in explorer it tells me that i have the folder open in another program and wont let me rename it. I have to cancel and try again. Some times i have to close explorer completely and then open it back up. If i click the try again it will continualy reapear. This happens every time that I have to rename a file or folder.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if the issue occurs on every location.

I suggest testing it in Clean Boot mode first. You can also try Safe Mode: Keep pressing F8 upon restarting and then choose Safe Mode.

If the issue persists, I suggest using ShellExView to clear unnecessary extensions.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If the issue persists, you can collect Screenshot of the error and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Screenshot

========

1. If the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click Desktop on the left pane and then click "Save".

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:16 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm if the issue occurs on every location.

I suggest testing it in Clean Boot mode first. You can also try Safe Mode: Keep pressing F8 upon restarting and then choose Safe Mode.

If the issue persists, I suggest using ShellExView to clear unnecessary extensions.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If the issue persists, you can collect Screenshot of the error and upload it to the http://skydrive.live.com/ using your Live ID and I will check it:

Screenshot

========

1. If the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click Desktop on the left pane and then click "Save".

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:16 AM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:10 AM
  • I have had the same problem On & Off noticeably during the last 12 months or so

Today I opened a NEW File (in the required Name), then transferred all the files within the OLD Folder TO the NEW Folder, THEN I could delete the OLD (Empty) Folder !!

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:01 AM
  • I have renamed my files over ten times inc. today for the past month & after a hour wait my computer has them listed as they were before I changed them.

I have copied them then deleted the original, the deleted one stayed deleted & the copies turned back to their original setting.

I have moved them to another folder on an ext. drive & they stayed in the folder but changed back to their settings again.

this never happened with prev. settings of windows just with 7 & all the updates they bring.

please tell me how I can fix this without losing anything or have to re-install something & please be very clear, I don't know nor like computers.

I was pushed into having computers & seen 12 crashes, over 300 trojans & power surges, deff. hard drives & not once has someone gone after the people.

If someone could tell me how to sue for damages that I have had since 1997, I've lost over $10,000 worth & never once microsoft, gates b.s. explorer replaced anything or credit me.

So please help me, I'm on my list cord & one day will crash like my computers.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 3:55 PM