none
LiteTouchMedia is giving me an error on task sequence (Bad Task Sequence Item - Missing OS) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm relatively new to this so please bare with me. The environment is as follows: Windows 2012 Std, MDT 2013 Update 1 (6.3.8298.1000). I'm basically testing and I'm literally keeping things as simple as possible.

I've got WinPE drivers created and uploaded under Out of Box Drivers.

I've added Windows 10 Enterprise (Build 10586) added under Operating Systems.

I created a Task Sequence that uses a Standard Client Task Sequence. I know this task sequence works because if I bootup with the generic LiteTouchPE.iso the task works as expected (it installs Windows 10). However the generic LiteTouchPE.iso requires that I manually enter the deployment share path, enter credentials, etc. and then it works. I don't want to have to do that. I want it to just present me with the Task Sequences and let it do its thing.

The problem lies here:

Under Advanced Configuration in MDT Workbench, I've created a Selection Profile which includes All Drivers and All Task Sequences. Under Advanced Configuration > Media, I've created a new media based off that Selection Profile. It creates a LiteTouchMedia.iso that is 1.3GB. When I boot off that iso, everything seems to be loading fine until I get to the screen for the Task Sequences. I select the Task Sequence and I then get the message: Bad Task Sequence Item - (Missing OS)

I suspect this is because it is trying to read/get the source files from the locally in the ISO (not from the network share), but I want it to get it off the network share. I've come to this conclusion because if I create new Media using the "Everything" selection profile, I get a ~7GB LiteTouchMedia.iso which works fine.

To take a step back, the reason I want to use the LiteTouchMedia.iso is because I want to be able to use a USB flash drive to get the OS install process started. For the sake of this conversation, PXE booting is not an option right now. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any tips or pointers that can lead to a solution.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi

You cannot use the MDT media to bootup - and then access the deployment share. This is for offline deployment only.

But you can modify the bootstrap.ini as this:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    [Default]
    DeployRoot=\\Servername\DeploymentShare$
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES

UserDomain=domain
    UserID=user
    UserPassword=Password

Then you can use the LiteTouchMedia.iso and put it on a USB stick - then boot the device on the USB - The USB boot will access the deployment share. So you do not need a PXE server.

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:00 PM