none
Resource Engagements and Licenses RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we want to use resource engagements but are uncertain about the licensing: Is it correct that PMs need Project Online Professional to request resources and RMs need Project Online Premium to use the PWA features to view and approve or reject these requests? Or is Premium needed for all of the users?

Thanks for your help

Arne

Friday, November 4, 2016 3:42 PM

All replies

• Arne - the Resource Engagement option looks to be available from the Resource Centre in Project Online, I am just experimenting with it at the moment as your question needs an answer. I have been able to create an Engagement Request from the Resource Centre and when I open the plan I can see it in the "Resource Plan" view in Project Pro for Office 365.

I was able to approve the engagement in the Resource Centre for the Engagement I created there. 

When I check the plan again I can see the engagement is now showing as  Committed and I can click on the name of the Engagement to see the Engagement Information dialog box - however whilst the time phased display shows committed work I cannot edit Work to match the commitment so I am at a point where I don't know what to do with the committed engagement.

I have used Project Pro for Office 365 to create engagements and have moved them through the entire process as described by Microsoft.

At the moment initiating an Engagement from within Project Online looks to do some but not all of what is required and as such I would suggest that you are going to have to use Project Pro for Office 365 to get this feature to work for you as intended.

Perhaps others on this Forum can explain a bit more but for the time being it looks like you have to have Project Pro for Office 365 to make this work.

Cheers,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, November 4, 2016 4:18 PM
  • To add to Dominic comments, in terms of licencing, as far as I understood from Microsoft, you are right. PM needthe Professional licence to create and update engagements. RM need the Premium licence to approve/reject engagements.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, November 4, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Dominic, note that the committed work is not a constraint. Meaning that this is only given for information to the PM, but he might assign the resource out of the engagement boundaries approved by the RM. Then he'll see an indicator in front of the task showing that the assignment is in conflict with the approved engagement. 

Does that help?

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 4, 2016 4:24 PM
  • Guillaume - I just checked your advice and edited the Committed Engagement in Project Pro - it then shows the conflict you suggested would be displayed, it states it needs to be submitted for review. I submit for review and it shows again as proposed in the Resource Centre - I approve it in the Resource Centre and then refresh the Project in Project Pro for Office 365 - its status has changed and is shown as committed - however even though there has been the "dialog" between PM and RM the new Engagement shows only in the Resource Plan view it does not appear in the task list in the Gantt Chart.

So from my experience so far while it is possible to generate an engagement from the Resource Centre and even though it is a commitment in the plan you cannot do anything with it so the option to initiate a Resource Engagement from Project Web App looks to be a compromised feature.

Is there something I have missed?

Cheers,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, November 4, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hi Dominic,

The engagement is not a task, this is the conclusion of an agreement between the PM and the RM. This is normal that you cannot see it in the task list. Once the agreement is done, the PM has to schedule the task/assignment accordingly with the approved engagement.

I do agree, it is useless in my point of view not to have PPRO for the resource engagement, since it is an advanced resource/project management which requires mature PM, who generally do have Project Pro.

Hope this helps,

Friday, November 4, 2016 5:16 PM