DVD drive missing, come back out of no where and missing again RRS feed

• Question

• My DVD drive starts the problem with not able to play audio disk and froze when try to pay DVD (it show in device manager and computer). Before I was able to fix it, the drive was gone (not in device manager and computer). I search thru internet and install virtual drive, uninstall the drive and restart computer which brough my drive back. I was able to play audio and dvd fine for a few days. All of a sudden, the drive was gone again. I was searching internet again to find a solution. Today, the drive came back again without applying any fix to it. When I restart the computer, the drive was gone again.

NOTE: I've tried MS Fix it, but cannot detect the device and did not fix it. I also check regedit and there is no Upper or lower filter to be deleted. I also remove the drive and put it back to make sure that there is no loose cable. I am running Vista Home Premium in HP dv6700 laptop.

Can anyone please help!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you install any programs or updates before the issue occurs?

Is it able to detect the DVD drive if you attach it in another computer?

You may also try to remove and reinstall the DVD-ROM/RW driver from the site on the manufacturer.

Also, see if the following KB article helps:

Your computer does not detect the CD drive or the DVD drive after you remove Digital Image

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Does the CD Rom driver have upperfilters or lowerfilters defined?

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Sabrina,

Thank you so much for your respond!

My laptop is setup for automatice update. So I don't really know what updates were applied at the time of the problem occure. I did install DVD fab 8 and Demon lite after the drive went missing. Since some forum suggest that these can cause the DVD drive missing so I uninstall them and also clean the registry using Eusing registry cleaner. Currently I only have DVD suite which comes with the laptop at purchase. I also tried to restore my laptop to factory setting and no luck with the drive.

I did try the link you provided before and does not help me since I did not see the UPPERFILTER & LOWERFILTER in the registry. Also I don't know how to uninstall the drive since there is no DVD/CD drive option in DEVICE MANAGER.

I do not have another laptop to try if the drive works on another laptop.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your reply,

I do not see UPPERFILTER & LOWERFILTER in the registry key.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:19 PM