Issues launching applications after App-V 4.6 Service Pack 1 for RDS Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After upgrading our Server 2003 Citrix servers with App-V 4.6 Service Pack 1, there are a handful of applications that will not launch.  A few applications are throwing strange application errors (Not App-V errors) while others are launching to 100% and immediatley shutting down.  The only consistent component with these applications that will not launch is that they all contain the Oracle 10 client. 

The applications that are shutting down without error message are giving the Application Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error, Event ID 5000.  After removing the 4.6 SP1 client and reinstalling 4.6.1.20870, these applications will launch without issue.

Has anyone run into any similar issues with updating to SP1?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:49 PM

Answers

• Hi There,

Hotfix 3 for App-V 4.6 SP1 is now available.

If you want to get it please contact Microsoft. (or wait till the KB is released) Hotfix cases are free of charge you Kreditcard is just needed to open the case but it will not be charged...

KB will be 2571168

/Sebastian

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

There are some instances - however anything relating to specifically to Oracle we haven't seen yet.

So far the following has been suggested;

1. There are certain applications that will not start or be sequenced on Windows 2003 with SP1 upgrade

2. They relate to using resources on a mapped networkdrive or directly using UNC-paths

/Znack
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Complete finger in the air type guess because I'm not sure to be honest. How did you upgrade your client? Did you remove the previous version or do an upgrade? Do the applications in question have a need to Visual C++ Redistributable? Is this met by the local machine?

Other than that, I got nothing! Sorry.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Hey Scott - did you set the "Create Global Objects" permission on those Citrix boxes? Users need to be granted that permission for Oracle apps to function properly in Citrix. Also, are you running EdgeSight on those boxes? That can sometimes cause C++ Runtime errors: http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualworld/archive/2010/07/07/r6030-crt-not-initialized.aspx

Cheers

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Hi Znack - I am not seeing where to download the App-V 4.6 SP1 Hotfix 1 in the link you posted...

Thanks

Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hello,

If the link is not published you can call Microsoft support and request the hotfix if its publicaly available 
    /Znack
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hey D - Create Global Objects permissions are properly configured.  Edgesight is running on the servers however the issues can be corrected by rolling back the SP1 install.  Looking into an SP1 hotfix.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hello,

Are there anything in the package that references a network share ? 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Could we possibly have cache corruption? What if you unload and reload each application?
    Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I have the same issue after upgrading to 4.6 SP1. All the applications whith this problem use dll's on a mapped drive or UNC-path. When i use filemon, at some point the application is looking for "Q:\device\Lanmanredirector\networkshare\path_to_dll". Servers are also 2003. The 4.5 client and 4.6 client do not have this problem. The 4.6 SP1 client for desktops is also not having this problem.

I can reproduce this error when I start an application on a network drive in an empty stream (default application) trough the command line.

Monday, May 2, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Hello

any luck with this error?, i have the same problem with application startet from network drive.

Monday, May 2, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Hello,

I would suggest opening a Microsoft-case reporting this problem.  
    /Znack
    Monday, May 2, 2011 9:26 AM
  • We are also having the same problem, even sequencing in the latest version of the sequencer results in the same problem. So it has nothing to do with packages from older sequencers. I think we will open a Microsoft case, a lot of our programs stopped working...
    Monday, May 2, 2011 9:53 AM
  • rolling back.., major change in behaviour in AppV.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 10:17 AM
  • We just opened a case: Support Request Number - 111050237458523
    Monday, May 2, 2011 10:26 AM
  • All of the applications that are not launching after the SP1 upgrade launch files from a UNC-path.

Monday, May 2, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hello,

My suggestion is that anyone experiencing this opens a ticket with Microsoft. 
    /Znack
    Monday, May 2, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Microsoft has reproduced the problem. Problem only exists on Windows XP and Windows 2003 TS. Not on Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2. It looks like some file paths are being corrupted when they are network shares. 
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:05 PM
  •  

Thanks for the update :)

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi There,

it seems that a lot of people are running into this behavior. I am currently working on that case and in the progress of identifying the root cause.

as Korton Group said, this is only on XP and 2003 if the 4.6 SP1 Client is used.

I was able to examine the changes that was made in the relevant code area. But I need to dig in a bit deeper to find the root cause.

This should be done within the next few days. And than I will work with the product Team.

Kind regards

Sebastian - Support Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Germany 

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hey Sebastian

Any news? (A lots of our apps does not work at the moment)

Thanks in advance

Michael

Sysadm
    Monday, May 9, 2011 11:06 AM
  • Hi MikeyDK

The quickest way is to go back to 4.6 (not SP1) Cleint. 

So, yes I don't like  that as well, but to set the right expectation:

If you have that issues right now, don't expect an Fix in the next few weeks. If you need a solution yesterday - roll back to 4.6 if your production is at risk. (Currently there is no decidion made to fix this or not)

The "workaround" to rollout Win 7 / W2k8 R2 is not really a workaround, right!

So current status:

Investigating... Will pass this to the App-V Team soon to confirm and further investigate.

Regards

Sebastian

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Short Status Update:

Fix was accepted, but we need additional regression testing. So no ETA yet.

I keep you posted.

Sebastian

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Has anyone got an update on this?  We have the same issue- applications that run through a UNC path are failed, always someway related to lanmanredirector.

In the meantime, are you saying that if I change my sequencer to Win7 VM on a Win 2K8 R2 server, it will work?  Will I still be able to deploy to XP machines?

We can't rollback to 4.6.0 - that's 20,000 machines....  And right now, until this is resolved, we have entire departments down.

UPDATE:

Just opened a ticket with MS.  If something comes out of that, I'll post it here.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Here's an update- I have a ticket open with Microsoft.  They are aware, and are working on a hotfix. At this point, the hotfix is still beta, and being tested.  Hopefully something soon!
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi There,

That is correct.

The Fix is currently under verification on customer side. As soon we get positive feedback we need to do additional tests to get a final Hotfix which will also take time.

I am also in contact with J.C. and you should see an official statement on the App-V Blog soon regarding that issue.

@Justin Mangum

Could you share the case ID with me, so that I can check if I have you on my radar?

That would be great.

Kind regards

Sebastian

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Blog post from the App-V team here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2011/06/01/app-v-4-6-sp1-issue-running-a-virtualized-app-v-application-that-is-started-from-a-network-location.aspx

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Please note, we have different issues relating to post SP1-upgrade issues. We have confirmed fixes on the way for two of them. We appreciate your patience.
    Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on when both of the hotfixes will be released?
    /Znack
    Monday, July 4, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hello, is there any news on these hotfixes?

Ian

Monday, July 11, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hi There,

Short Update  - We expect to have this Hotfix availabale on Request at the end of July...

(If every Test will be passed)

On Request means - get in touch with Microsoft and request it. I will post the KB# as soon it's available.

Kind regards

Sebastian

Monday, July 11, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Hi There,

Hotfix 3 for App-V 4.6 SP1 is now available.

If you want to get it please contact Microsoft. (or wait till the KB is released) Hotfix cases are free of charge you Kreditcard is just needed to open the case but it will not be charged...

KB will be 2571168

/Sebastian

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hello,

KB#

/Znack
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:45 AM