none
Exchange 2010 daily change higher than expected RRS feed

• Question

• We are protecting Exchange 2010 with DPM 2010 and are seeing a much higher rate of data change than expected. For example we have two storage groups that have an average data transfer to the Recovery Point volume of about 3-5 GB per day. The actual databases in exchange (the replica volumes) have only grown by about 5 GB each in total in the last month. It seems unlikely to me that this client is deleting messages at that rate per day to account for the change data in the recovery point backup.

Is anyone else seeing a higher than expected rate of change for Exchange 2010 backup with DPM 2010?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Danny,

That is exactly by design, yes log files are part of the recovery point regardless of how often you do the synchronizations.   The replica volume usage will only increase as the DB increases, assuming log files remain a constant.   No change between DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 as far as logs are concerned.

Since you are not doing incremental backups, you could get away with enabling circular logging on the exchange DB to cut down on log size. 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

Please keep in mind that the backups taken by DPM also contain the exchange log files, if you review the successful jobs for a single storage group for a 24 hour period, you should get a good idea of how much of the recovery point data is logs, and the block level change for the DB during the express full backup.

To view the job history, under the Monitoeing - jobs tab, click on "create filter..." link.  Give a filter name, then select a single day in the from, to box and choose custom date to bring up the calendar.   Under the JOBS, deselect all, then click on sycnchronizations and recovery point, then only completed jobs.  Under the Protection tab, deselect all, then only select the single storage group.  Save the filter.  The results will show all sucessful synchronization and recovery point jobs for the selected SG for the time period specified (1 day). You can look to see how much data was transferred, eventually, that will end up in the recovery point volume.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Mike.

We are doing a single express full backup daily for Exchange with synchronization frequency set to 'just before a recovery point'. I am seeing the recovery point volume increase by the amount that the data is transferred daily. Does this mean that the log files are retained on the recovery point volume even when I choose the synchronization frequency of 'just before a recovery point'? So by the end of one month my Replica volume has increased by 5GB and my recovery point volume has increased by 90GB - seems a little off-balance.

Is this behaviour different to DPM 2007 where you could do an 'express full' only which would only sync the changed blocks in the database not transfer the log files and store them in the RP volume?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Hi Danny,

That is exactly by design, yes log files are part of the recovery point regardless of how often you do the synchronizations.   The replica volume usage will only increase as the DB increases, assuming log files remain a constant.   No change between DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 as far as logs are concerned.

Since you are not doing incremental backups, you could get away with enabling circular logging on the exchange DB to cut down on log size. 

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Hi Mike,

i have similar issue with my Exchange 2010 backup when i clone all exchnage disks with Replica Manager ( EMC ) and mount it to host server and when i backup it with netbackup to disk and Tapes on daily full basis ( 1.8TB ).

i get a large amount of data changing arround 650GB of daily changing when last year my backup enviroment include some EMC and Replica Manager Clone but Exchange 2007 and get only 90GB data chaning per day.

it could be that we changing 650Gb per day on the exchange!

clould you please explain me if this exchange 2010 stracture limitation or it a netbackup issue or other thing?

thanks in advance.

Gil Blumenfeld

Ormat Systems LTD

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:41 AM