none
Project Server 2013 Exchange Integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Project Server 2013 Exchange integration - how does it work, how do I make it work?

Background: Having spent the better part of day and night trying to figure out how it is supposed to work and how it might possibly need to be setup, the only effect I can see is that Exchange nuked my test environment by spontaneously deleting by SharePoint Service account from AD.

Scenario: Windows Server(s) 2008R2 SP1, SharePoint/Project Server 2013, Exchange 2013.

Technet Article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982992.aspx

An additional requirement for this feature is that the Project queue is required to run under a user with a valid Microsoft Exchange email address which has rights to read calendars from Microsoft Exchange for the users in the organization.

This is the only information I have. I created a mailbox for my test user, for my project server queue account, shared the test user's calendar with the project server queue account, granted the project server queue account all kinds of access permissions and roles, added the impersonation as it was required in 2010, added PWA administrator permission to the exchange server account (DOMAIN\exchange2013$).

Out-of-Office-Calendar Sync for PWA has been enabled in Central Administration an Account for the test user. Whenever I edit this test user in PWA, the queue job for Exchange Out-of-Office Sync fails. The failed job's GUID cannot be found in AD, the error mesage in the windows server event log is as follows:

Standard Information:PSI Entry Point: <unknown>
    Project User: <unknown>
    Correlation Id: <unknown>
    PWA Site URL:
    SA Name: <unknown>
    PSError: <unknown>
    A queue job has failed. This is a general error logged by the Project Server Queue everytime a job fails - for effective troubleshooting use this error message with other more specific error messages (if any), the Operations guide (which documents more details about queued jobs) and the trace log (which could provide more detailed context). More information about the failed job follows. GUID of the failed job: 4476b618-8a3c-e211-82c4-00155d019858. Name of the computer that processed this job: a677612f-3135-43fc-9fed-52fb6f4d461f (to debug further, you need to look at the trace log from this computer). Failed job type: ExchangeCalOofSync. Failed sub-job type: ExchangeDeleteCalExceptions. Failed sub-job ID: 1. Stage where sub-job failed:  (this is useful when one sub-job has more than one logical processing stages).

Thus, I have the 4 basic questions and 1 comment:

1. Has anyone ever managed to get this Out-of-Office-Calendar Sync setup?
    2. If so, what did you do in detail to get it to work? Which permissions, settings, certificate exchanges were required?
    3. How exactly does the Out-of-Office-Calendar Sync work? The requirements suggest that Out-of-Office-Time in Exchange-Calendar is read and added somehow added to PWA as resource calendar exception?
    4. Task Sync to Outlook is supposed to be deprecated (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/project-server-2013-known-issues-HA102919020.aspx), but it's still available in the /tasks.aspx page, which one is correct? Can anyone corfirm that it works for them, and if so, how?
    5. This needs to be added to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982992.aspx to reflect its current and/or intended state. And that article needs a proper setup instruction just like http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468700%28v=office.14%29.aspx anda functional description http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686785%28v=office.14%29.aspx.

Since this is a highly promoted new feature with no precendent to adapt to regarding the installation, the above information is necessary for us consultants to promote, appraise and demonstrate this product.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Sunday, December 2, 2012 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

this functionality finally works, the technet instruction is missing the crucial step that the calendar sync occurs only for timesheet periods.

So, without timesheet period, the job will fail with a non-descript error. With time reporting periods for the relevant time frames, it will work.

Also, since I had already done a system reset, I did not assign any additional server permissions (as was necessary in 2010).

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hm, does nobody have an issue with this, or did nobody try out this new highlighted feature?
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Hi Adrian,

The Out Of Office is not functioning correctly in the RTM build, and thus you can see it in action. As you pointed out, the issue lays around the job not being executed. This was fixed post RTM and will be available in CU1.

The Exchange Sync from project was indeed deprecated, and all the UI entry point :"should" have been removed. Do you see entry points in the RTM build ?

We are in the process of updating all the documentation. In the meantime, you can find how to setup Exchange Sync here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj554516.aspx

and a blog post of its functionality here: http://blogs.office.com/b/project/archive/2012/09/17/project-2013-task-integration-with-exchange-outlook.aspx

We are working on some more technical TechNet doc to explain how ti works, but no ETA on when this will be ready yet.

thanks

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Hi Adrian,

as marcboy wrote it seems that we cannot expect this feature to function currently.

While we are waiting for CU1 - I have the same error in my event log. But in the ULS log I additionally found:

01/13/2013 19:44:40.07  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 SharePoint Foundation          General                        ajcdn Monitorable SPException thrown: Message: A required context information is NULL - "context".. Stack:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.ThrowSPExceptionWithTraceTag(UInt32 tagId, ULSCat traceCategory, String resourceId, Object[] resourceArgs)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPWebRequest.SafeCreate(Uri requestUri, SPContext context, Type callingType, String callingInstanceTag)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.Autodiscover.DiscoverTryUrl(String emailAddress, NetworkCredential nc, String url, Boolean authoritative, Boolean allowSelfSignedCerts)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.Autodiscover.DiscoverTryUrls(String emailAddress, NetworkCredential nc, List`1 urls, Boolean authoritative, Boolean allowSelfSignedCerts, Int32& maxHops)     at... 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07* Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 SharePoint Foundation          General                        ajcdn Monitorable ... Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.Autodiscover.Discover(String emailAddress, NetworkCredential nc, Int32& maxHops, Boolean allowSelfSignedCerts)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeSyncUtil.GetExchangeUrl(String email)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeCalendarSyncUtil.GetEwsUrl(ProfileRow profileRow)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeCalendarSyncUtil.GetUsersMappingEWSUrl(ExchangeProfileDataSet resourceProfile, Dictionary`2& ewsURLUsers)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.ExchangeSync.ExchangeCalendarSyncUtil.SyncOofTimeFromExchange(ExchangeProfileDataSet resourceProfile)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessExchangeCalOofSyncMessages.ExecuteUpdate(ExchangeCalendarOofSy... 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07* Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 SharePoint Foundation          General                        ajcdn Monitorable ...ncUpdate exchCalOofUpdate, MessageContext mContext)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessExchangeCalOofSyncMessages.HandleMessage(Message msg, Group messageGroup, JobTicket jobTicket, MessageContext mContext)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessMessageThread.ThreadEntry()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.MessageProcessor.ProcessMessage(Message msg, MessageContext mContext, ProcessMessageThread processMessageThread)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.MessageProcessor.HandleMessages()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.MessageProcessor.ThreadEntry()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.MessageProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass1.<Execute>b__0()   ... 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07* Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 SharePoint Foundation          General                        ajcdn Monitorable ...  at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Library.SafeCallbackManager.RunCallbackAction(Action action, Func`1 safePredicate)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.MessageProcessor.Execute(Group& nextGroupInCorrelation, JobTicket& nextGroupJobTicket)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.Receiver.ProcessMessageGroup(CancellationToken schedulerCancellationToken, Group messageGroup, JobTicket jobTicket, Group& nextGroupInCorrelation, JobTicket& nextGroupJobTicket)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.Receiver.ExecuteJobInternal(CancellationToken schedulerCancellationToken, Group& messageGroup)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.Receiver.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<>c__DisplayClass21.<ExecuteJob>b__1b()     at Microsof... 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07* Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 SharePoint Foundation          General                        ajcdn Monitorable ...t.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.QueueUtils.RunActionWithIgnoreExceptionPredicate(Action action, Predicate`1 ignoreExceptionPredicate, Boolean& isIgnorableException)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.Receiver.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<ExecuteJob>b__1a()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Library.SafeCallbackManager.RunCallbackAction(Action action, Func`1 safePredicate)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.Receiver.ExecuteJob(CancellationToken schedulerCancellationToken, Int32 siteJobCount)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Services.SiteQueue.<>c__DisplayClass2.<ExecuteJob>b__1()     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Library.SafeCallbackManager.RunCallbackAction(Action action, Func`1 safePredicate)     at Microsoft.Office.Projec... 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07* Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 SharePoint Foundation          General                        ajcdn Monitorable ...t.Server.Services.SiteQueue.ExecuteJob(CancellationToken ct, Int32 siteJobCount)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Services.QueueJobRunner.ExecuteSiteJob(Object data)     at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)     at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)     at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot)     at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean bPreventDoubleExecution)     at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()   7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 Project Server                 Exchange Sync                  aaua8 Medium   PWA:https://server.domain.fqdn/pwa, ServiceApp:Project Server Service, User:i:0#.w|domain\useraccount, PSI: Unable to determine Exchange information for user via autodiscovery.Autodiscover failled for user:7c5b13b6-d72d-e211-93f3-00155d32601c with error: Eine erforderliche Kontextinformation ist gleich NULL - "context"., LogLevelManager Warning-ulsID:0x00014022 has no entities explicitly specified. 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 Project Server                 Exchange Sync                  aauba Medium   PWA:https://server.domain.fqdn/pwa, ServiceApp:Project Server Service, User:i:0#.w|domain\useraccount, PSI: Unable to determine Exchange information for user:7c5b13b6-d72d-e211-93f3-00155d32601c via autodiscovery., LogLevelManager Warning-ulsID:0x00014040 has no entities explicitly specified. 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74
    01/13/2013 19:44:40.07  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server (0x07B0) 0x2BB0 Project Server                 Exchange Sync                  aa75e Medium   Error is: GeneralInvalidOperation. Details:  Attributes:  f96edd80-7c62-4b51-9c80-c2336e3fe59c  Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.QueueMsg.ExchangeCalendarOofSyncUpdate  1  DontBlock  . Standard Information: PSI Entry Point:  Project User: i:0#.w|domain\useraccount Correlation Id: 880ea748-b15d-e211-93fa-00155d326903 PWA Site URL: https://server.domain.fqdn/pwa SA Name: Project Server Service PSError: GeneralInvalidOperation (20011), LogLevelManager Warning-ulsID:0x000217C4 has no entities explicitly specified. 7276f49b-8755-709a-cba0-b35d46e83d74

Do you also have this error in your system, or is this perhaps an additional problem that I have to solve (autodiscover...)?

Are you sure regarding the read permissions needed for the calendar? I would think that this calendar sync works with some kind of impersonation like the work management service - and this does not need any permissions on the mailboxes itself.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:38 PM
  • I get the exact same error you get Christoph.  Kinda disappointed as I wanted this to be in my Project Server course.  Oh well...

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Message: A required context information is NULL - "context".. Stack:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.ThrowSPExceptionWithTraceTag(UInt32 tagId, ULSCat traceCategory, String resourceId, Object[] resourceArgs) 

Issue has been resolved in March 2013 CU

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2768001

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Hello everyone,

this functionality finally works, the technet instruction is missing the crucial step that the calendar sync occurs only for timesheet periods.

So, without timesheet period, the job will fail with a non-descript error. With time reporting periods for the relevant time frames, it will work.

Also, since I had already done a system reset, I did not assign any additional server permissions (as was necessary in 2010).

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:02 PM
  • When you say "

Task Sync to Outlook is supposed to be deprecated (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/project-server-2013-known-issues-HA102919020.aspx), but it's still available in the /tasks.aspx page, which one is correct? Can anyone corfirm that it works for them, and if so, how?"

do you say that sync with Exchange 2010 is always in place? Deprecate is not removed.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Project 2010 Exchange Task Sync to Outlook is deprecated

The Project 2010 Exchange Task Sync to Outlook is deprecated in the final version of Project 2013.

Workaround    You can use the new SharePoint 2013 Task Sync feature instead

Yes. Integrate Project Server 2013 with Exchange Server 2013 using SharePoint 2013 Task Sync feature. This feature will help you to sync the tasks to outlook and vice versa.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj554516(v=office.15).aspx

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:06 PM
  • The actual situation is that the exchange can't be upgrade to 2013. So we have to synch the Project 2013 with Exchange 2010.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:26 AM
  • In previous versions of Project Server, users could manually set up synchronization with Exchange Server so that they could manage tasks in a simple way using Outlook. In Project Server 2013, this feature has been significantly modified to provide an improved and more robust integration with Exchange Server 2013 and SharePoint Foundation 2013. However, support for integrating Project Server 2013 with previous versions of Exchange Server has been removed. Project Server 2013 can only be synchronized with mailboxes hosted on Exchange Server 2013.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/project-server-help/discontinued-features-and-modified-functionality-in-project-server-2013-HA102991478.aspx

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Ok but in some Microsoft informations (http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ff631142(v=office.15).aspx#section6) I can read this:

Project Server 2013 avec Exchange Server 2010 fournit les fonctionnalités suivantes :
    • mêmes fonctionnalités que celles offertes par Project Server 2010 :

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:13 AM
  • This is a documentation error, check the English version of the same article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631142(v=office.15).aspx#section9

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:54 AM
  • Ok. My first find was on this site (in English) http://www.pmweb.co.uk/project-server-2013/ where the write the same thing.

I think it's a real stupid thing that they don't have leave old sync option,even with limited functions. It's impossible for us to upgrade or Exchange infrastructure to 2013 (more then 20000 mailboxes).

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please help me to find out what I'm doing wrong

I've got the following configuration: Project Server 2013 (SP2013) + Exchange 2013(Hyper-V VM)

I've isntalled the update.

Besides I thoroughly checked and satisfied all of these conditions:
    1) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj554516%28v=office.15%29.aspx
    2) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982992.aspx

I configured Project Server Queue service to run under an account that has a mailbox on my Exchange Server. To provide access to the organization user calendars I added the account to Organization Management, Recipient Management roles on Exhange.

When I go to PWA and push "Syncronize with OutLook" button I always get an error with a very vague description. Translating to English it says: "Synchronization failed. You need to configure something. Click here and after that try to synchronize your task again". It is intersting that "here" link leads to a user's SP site.

I've got no Project Server errors in App Log. I thought that this huge update you've reffered would help me but it didn't.

I've spent plenty of time trying to integrate Project Server with Exchange. Is there something else I can do to implement it finally? 

I would appreciate any help on this.

Best regards,
    Denis

• Edited by Volxw Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:06 AM
    Thursday, June 26, 2014 9:56 AM