Word 2016 Files Won't Save or Save As on Mac RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Word for Mac (version 15.25 160817) on my Mac OS X El Capitan (version 10.11.6).

I did this after having a sudden problem with my older version of Word where it turned blocks of text in documents into rectangular symbols.  The same documents opened perfectly when I purchased and installed the newest version of Word but, suddenly I discovered that I could not Save or Save As an otherwise normal document.  When I tried copy and pasting the text into a new document I had the same problem until I quit Word and relaunched the application.

There are currently no updates available.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Chris

Friday, August 26, 2016 1:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean the text box display issue has been resolved after upgraded to version 15.25 160817? But the Save and Save as issue occurred with this new Word version? Is there any error description when you click Save or Save as?

Please confirm if the Save and Save as issue happens to all word documents. Also confirm of other Office applications encounter this issue.

Please create a new document in Word for Mac (version 15.25 160817), insert new text box in this blank document, check if you can save or save as this new document with text box.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean the text box display issue has been resolved after upgraded to version 15.25 160817? But the Save and Save as issue occurred with this new Word version? Is there any error description when you click Save or Save as?

Please confirm if the Save and Save as issue happens to all word documents. Also confirm of other Office applications encounter this issue.

Please create a new document in Word for Mac (version 15.25 160817), insert new text box in this blank document, check if you can save or save as this new document with text box.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:56 AM
  • How can you mark this as an acceptable answer? There's no answer in there and the bug is still here.

The save as issue happens on all documents, either old or new.

Monday, July 24, 2017 7:17 PM
  • I had the exact same issue. I found a way to work around it for now until they fix this bug. 

Click on the drop down menu and select "Save As." Then look for the File Format box in the lower right hand corner of the Save As box you should be in. Change the file format to Word 97-2004 (.doc) Click save. It will save your document in Compatibility Mode. Close Word. Reopen Word and in the drop down menu select "Open Recent." Select the document you just saved. Once it's opened, go to the drop down menu again and select "Save As" and select file format drop down again and select the top option Word Document (.docx) This is the file format you originally tried to save it as. You will get a box that pops up letting you know that you are converting to an online XML file available on the newest versions of Word and that some of the original formatting on your document may be affected. Click OK after reading the message. Your document will be saved as a .docx now and you will be good to go. Per the warning message, double check the formatting and appearance of your document just in case something did change with it before you submit your document anywhere. Mine looked fine.

I hope this helps everyone!

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:35 AM
  • I am using the most recent version of Mac Os High Sierra: 10:13 have 32 gigs of RAM and a 1TB solid state drive Chris.  I upgraded from Word 2011 to Word 2016, version 15.40.  Even in Word 2011 I was having a few minutes delay in saving as along with having 3-6 tags for my documents. I save them in rich text format so I can cut and paste them into my Google Plus Blog and also send them as e-mails that can be used immediately by selected people.  I have about 1,450 documents saved in Word, mostly so I have a backup for most of my posts and comments on GooglePlus.

As soon as I upgraded to Word 2016, I could no longer save any written file using save as and then including a few tags. Word hung for half an hour or so when I attempted to save.  I am often able to recover what I write after Word fails to save my new documents.   Then I just save it without any tags and it completes that almost immediately.  I tried to save exactly the same few sentences as a save as with tags.  It failed to save.  I could recover it, but with none of my tags.

Then I saved it with no content tags and with the same title as before.  It saved immediately.   I've sent a recent error report to Microsoft about what is happening.     The crash or hang report sent was very long, perhaps 40 or 50 pages and I notice my iMac was using with an I7 3.4 GHZ processor was using about 40% of its capacity trying to work on saving the documents I've tried to save as with tags.  

I've had no trouble simply saving what I write, but I can no longer use my tags which had been essential for me to look up and find writings I had done on similar topics over the last few years.    

I'm going to go to my local Apple Store and get help at their genius bar and I'll also go to a wonderful little repair shop and diagnosis shop named Chipheads that's been a big help to me on difficult issues like this.  I'll probably also do a chat session with microsoft.  They've been very helpful to me in the past, especially with their remote diagnosis software.  I've saved all of my documents on my Time Machine Backup and will probably also export them all to my Amazon Cloud file account as well as to a little 128 gig portable SSD drive we use from time to time.  This is such a serious issue for me that I'll probably switch away from Microsoft Office if I am unable to get it cleared up in the next 4 or 5 weeks.  I have a Windows 10 desktop in addition to my late 2012 27 inch iMac.  I'll also check some documents with it to see if the same problems occur.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 12:51 AM
  • Khaotiq83,

Thanks for this.   Once I have all my documents saved in a couple of safe, portable external solid state sources, I will try what you suggest with a few of the longer comments I've saved from Google Plus. Have you tried using your technique with saving any documents that have tags describing the subject content?  It would be really good news for me if that works too. I appreciate all the work you've put into what you have shared here.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:02 AM
  • I agree with you, Godefroy; the bug is still there.  Also it's a very serious bug for people who need to use save as to change the format of their documents and to add field tags for describing content.  It leaves me needing to think seriously about changing to a different writing and editing program if it is not resolved in the next month or two.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 1:09 AM
  • Godefroy,    I'm still having the same problem as others have described here nine months later.  All I am able to do with Word, the most recent update available, is to make the title of my documents more descriptive.   If I try to add tags that describe the subject of my blog posts better, my iMac crashes and I get the swirling beachball from the "hot place" where those poor condemned souls go.    I described my issue in my post in this chain on November 22, 2017 and Khaotiq83 sent me a thank you here too.  The problem is not present in my Windows 10 Desktop with 32 gigs of Ram and a 500 gig solid state drive.    The problem seems to have spread to Photos on my iMac too, but I have not investigated that fully yet.  

I'm with you regarding Winnie Liang's reply that was labeled an answer.  It does not help me.   There is no error message, but my system crashes eventually and I send a crash report to Apple.  Most of the time I write a two or three sentence note on my crash report too.

P.S.

I am able to Save and Save As, but have finally decided not to use any tags to describe my blog posts more fully.  I just give them a more descriptive title.  I try to experiment with saving a document with tags every so often, but it never works.  I continue to be unable to save any document in any format when I have added Tags to it.  This applies to my iMac only.  It is the only Apple device I have using High Sierra.  All my other devices are either iPhones or iPads.  It is a very serious problem to me, but I just haven't had time to take it to an Apple Store yet.  For now I am limping along and hoping in despair that either Microsoft or Apple will take up this issue.   On the positive side, I just may be able to take my iMac into a local Apple Store this weekend.  Finally have some spare time this weekend.

Friday, March 30, 2018 12:40 AM
  • I thought I was going to die when this suddenly started happening to me, after an unsolicited upgrade when my hard drive was replaced. It was OK for the first couple of weeks, then, when I had complex work that had taken me all day, out of the blue it wouldn't save in any way, either as itself or as something else. But I followed the suggestion to save it in 97-2004, which worked. And then I saved it back again in the default Word doc and that saved too.  So my bacon was saved as well. Thank you so much for this solution!
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:28 PM