SP2007 - Doc Lib: Redirect File to File System RRS feed

• Question

• in the process of developing a internal doc-lib via sharepoint and one aspect is the ability to have files in a certain directory goto the File System (visible or hidden) and have the reference stored in the SP2007 application.

The library is being used to develop documents and when the draft session is over with they will be moving the final draft to a "finished" folder and at that point the file versioning, should be removed from SharePoint and stored on the server, while retaining its location within SharePoint so it can be opened and printed.

Any suggestions or pointers on how to make this happen?

if you give me a concept, i would greatly appreciate a link to a resource that can assist me in implementing my custom solution.  suggestions are great, but i would like to be pointed in the direction of the actual solution development not just theoretical solutions.

"I am the reason, Curiosity killed the Cat!" Please be patient, there are times where i do not respond for weeks at a time. Developer Fusion Tool
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:56 PM

Answers

• With the out of the box SharePoint installation, solution in this situation would be two-fold. First is, to make use of the versioning capabilities within SharePoint and using the option of having local draft file at the point of checking out the desired file. For more details you can review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-sharepoint-services-help/check-out-and-edit-a-file-HA010153570.aspx article. As you see, you can save the copy of the file in file system inside drafts folder; at the same time, manage the singularity of checked out file.

Once this is done, you can make use of the Records Center site in SharePoint to implement second phase of the solution. We have documented a demo as well here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263523(office.12).aspx. As you can see, not only the solution can be used to keep these files at central location on SharePoint, but in addition you can also leverage the retention policies as well.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:39 PM