none
Latency Issues and Connecting Servers directly in the Project Server 2010 FARM. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Project Server 2010 SP2, Large Farm. Currently facing performance issues... and in the past, during Project Server 2003,  we have connected WFE/APP and DB directly with hard wire and not going through the router; to improve the performance and reduce the latency as per the recommendations... 

I am just wondering if there are any such recommendations  and guideline for Project Server 2010 instance.

Please suggest.

Kishore Dodda

Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:22 AM

Answers

• Yes, obviously it will give better performance when you connect directly.

If the Current Disk Queue Length for the previous interval matches the Current Disk Queue Length for the current interval, then indeed the Avg. Disk Queue Length can be used as a general representation of the condition of your storage system

Using Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) we can see which applications have the highest I/O reads and writes.

lots of third party tools to monitor the network traffic, MS doesn't have or not im aware.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management

Monday, September 1, 2014 9:50 AM

All replies

• Lets put this issue in two buckets.

1. Server performance

I.  Perform SQL Db maintenance activities, update the stats table and perform reindex on all the Project and content databases

II. Perform health check on the Project and SQL servers, Identify what services are taking the Memory & CPU

III. Isolate whether the issue is with PWA or all the SharePoint sites

2. Network delay

I. Check the latency between the workstation and the project server

II. Isolate whether the issue occurs within the network or across the firewall and router from remote location.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Project schedules can also cause performance issues

1) Do you have over 20 custom fields of task or resource type.

2) Do you have calculations in custom fields

3) do you assigned more than 7 resources per task

4) how many lines in projects ? over 50000?

Also, using Kerberos for authentication may also improve performance.

cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, August 29, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Sairam,

Thank you for your response.

We performed most of the checks and engaged Microsoft solution team for EPM review... and one of the identified issue was Agerage Disk Queue Length is high, so we are planning to update the local disk storage to an attached Disk Storage Array with 24 disks with ~300 rpm and planning to configure as MS rep suggested. What I am also thinking of if connecting the servers directly would help as the data transfer would be direct and dont have to go through the network.

Any suggestions on this?

Also, can you suggest any good tools to calculate and analyze the two points under Network delay you mentioned, by the way Firewall is not in the question, it is internal Farm.

Kishore Dodda

Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Michael,

Thank you for your response.

1) Do you have over 20 custom fields of task or resource type. -- KISHORE: No, Task and Resource type custom fields are less than 20. We have Project Custom fields more than 50 including the OOB sample custom fields etc.

2) Do you have calculations in custom fields -- KISHORE: No formula fields

3) do you assigned more than 7 resources per task --  KISHORE: Yes to some tasks in a project

4) how many lines in projects ? over 50000? --  KISHORE: Max 200, average 80 

Also, using Kerberos for authentication may also improve performance. --  KISHORE: Could you please suggest any article on this... I dont seem to find any article on this topic. 

Also, recently we had a complete review of our EPM environment by MS Engineer... one of the main item identified is a disk system on the database server, and we are planning to upgrade it from a local storage to a attached disk array with 24, high rpm drives... but still want to understand if we connect servers directly would help in improving the performance.

Once again Thank you for your inputs. Appreciate it.

Kishore Dodda

Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Yes, obviously it will give better performance when you connect directly.

If the Current Disk Queue Length for the previous interval matches the Current Disk Queue Length for the current interval, then indeed the Avg. Disk Queue Length can be used as a general representation of the condition of your storage system

Using Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) we can see which applications have the highest I/O reads and writes.

lots of third party tools to monitor the network traffic, MS doesn't have or not im aware.

Monday, September 1, 2014 9:50 AM