none
Changing Address Book container name? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Exchange 2007 and in our address book I have a container called our company name and under that it has all the different countries.  Well our company has changed it's name so I went into the Exchange Manager > Organisation Configuration > Mailbox > Address Lists and renamed it to the new name then I had to go through the other address books for each county and add them to this new container.

All looks good, but when users go into their address books they still see the old name even in non-cached mode, any ideas?

How do I create a new container as I can see an option for this?  Maybe the old one is somehow still referencing the name somewhere so I thought creating a new one would help, but I can see an option.

Thanks

Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    If you want to change the name of an AddressList, you can do so in Exchange Management Shell (EMS). Messing around in ADSIEdit is not the way to go!

Example:
    Set-AddressList OldComapnyName -Name NewCompanyName -DisplayName NewCompanyName

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:42 AM
  • Is the address list the same as the address container?

I have address lists all done, but can only see old container names and can't see how I create a new container name to add them to?

Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:25 PM
  • All address lists is stored in the the container All Address Lists, CN=Address Lists Container.
    Since you did change the names in ADSIEdit, you probably need to run Update-AddressLists to let Exchange know.

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:35 PM
  • I didn't use ADSIEdit, I just used the Exchange manager tool, does this make a difference?
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:41 PM
  • I didn't use ADSIEdit, I just used the Exchange manager tool, does this make a difference?

I am sorry, don't know where I got AdsiEdit from.
    Still you need to run Update-Addresslist or "Apply" in EMC.

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:45 PM
  • Hmm I've been doing the update from EMC and then go to the users Outlook that is non cached and it still shows the old name, in EMC all looks good though.
    Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Can you run Get-Addresslist |Update-Addresslist in EMS, restart Outlook and check the result?

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the name of a address list container is changed through Exchange management tool. However, Outlook clients still show the old name.

In this case, I recommend you recreate a new profile to check the result. I test it and the address list updates in Outlook client only after I recreate the profile.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

I I've already tried this, but it didn't work.

How do I create a new container in EMC, I only see an option to create a new address list?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:27 AM