• Hello all,

I'm a new system builder (i.e.  July 5 ).  Here are my computer specs:

TSeries T45 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00GHz

XFX nVidia GX2 9800

Western Digital SATA 1TB HDD

4gb ram G.Skills

LG Blueray/DVD-ROM

I connected everything together, installed vista x64 bit, installed all drivers, windows updates etc. On the next day, because everything was running great, I decided to install 4 games, Crysis, Fable, the Sims and Assasins Creed.  Everything was working....until Tuesday (July 15).

As I was starting up the computer all of a sudden I got a Blue Screen of Death!   The error was as followed:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities.  Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

Technical information:

***  Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00000000001904AA,0xFFFFFA600B246428, 0xFFFFFA600B245E00, 0xFFFFFA60012DFAD2)

***                      Ntfs.sys – Adress FFFFFA60012DFAD2 base at FFFFFA600120B000, DateStamp 4791900d1

Collecting data for crash dump…

Initializing disk for crash dump …

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Dumping physical memory to disk: 100

Physical memory dump complete.

So I restarted my computer and the error appeared again. I don't have anti-virus software, I haven't defragmented the hard drive and I didn't backup anything. I ran a CHKDSK /R, I also did a memory test and which the computer passed both.  I tried to repair vista with the DVD but it said that their weren't any startup errors that need to be fixed.

One time I also got a Stop: 0x1E

I'm not really sure what to do next and I thought that you computer Gurus could help a noob like me!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated

Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hello Tim,

Thanks for the help but it turned out to be a faulty memory module.  I did a clean install of Vista x64 bit on Sunday with only 2GB of RAM.  There weren't any stop errors.  I then installed the other module and recieved a BSOD.  I moved the modules around to make sure it wasn't a motherboard problem and ran another memory test.  I passed using one, failed using the other.  So I requested a RMA and I will have new memory on Monday!

Just thought I would post an update

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:55 PM

All replies

•  

Hi

Please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1.     Update the drivers for the motherboard and video card.

2.   Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them.

3.   Ensure all the hardware devices, installed device drivers, and installed applications are all compatible with Windows Vista.

4.   For Compatibility information, please refer to Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

5.   Disable all the third party startup programs and services by using the MSConfig.exe utility shipped with Windows Vista. To use this tool, you can refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:20 AM
  • Hello Tim,

Thanks for the help but it turned out to be a faulty memory module.  I did a clean install of Vista x64 bit on Sunday with only 2GB of RAM.  There weren't any stop errors.  I then installed the other module and recieved a BSOD.  I moved the modules around to make sure it wasn't a motherboard problem and ran another memory test.  I passed using one, failed using the other.  So I requested a RMA and I will have new memory on Monday!

Just thought I would post an update

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:55 PM
  •  

Hi Tim, nice one on that memory thing, I really thought it was my graphics card at first but as soon as I took out this dodgy RAM all was well again, thank you for saving me lots of money and stress.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 6:42 AM
  • I found that on a Dell XPS M1330, the SATA setting had to be changed from ACHI to ATA in order to get the system to boot. After a successful boot (which included an automatic chkdsk), I could change it back to ACHI.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 8:18 PM