Application Dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Exports,

I have created an Application, and the installation just fine. 

I would like to use Application Dependencies to install the complete application suite which include, database client, main application, and service pack.

I have added the database client and main application in the software dependencies. However, i notice the installation run quite concurrently and causing problem with application due to the improper registry update.

May i know if there is any way i can control the installation sequence using application and software dependencies?

Thank you very much and greatly appreciated for any help and support.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:35 AM

Answers

• You can't control the order in which the dependencies are executed. A possible work around could be to set a dependency on a dependency, instead of all the dependencies on one application.

Or go back to a task sequence, or even an installation wrapper.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wong2014 Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:07 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Catching the installation status of the different applications are not the problem. You can simple catch the installation status by doing something like this iError = oShell.Run ("<CommandLine>", 0, True). The biggest problem with a scripted installation is correcting a failure. What if you scripted three application installations in one script and the third application fails? How do you want to restart that specific installation? Your script has to take into account that application can be installed already.

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:38 AM
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:22 PM

All replies

• You can't control the order in which the dependencies are executed. A possible work around could be to set a dependency on a dependency, instead of all the dependencies on one application.

Or go back to a task sequence, or even an installation wrapper.

• Proposed as answer by Jörgen NilssonMVP Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wong2014 Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:07 AM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hi,

Also note that when you create a depenency chain like that with application a depending on b and b on c and so on the supported limit is 5 dependencies.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, August 28, 2014 6:44 AM
  • Hi Peter, Thank you very much on your advice. I'm now trying to script the installation with vb script, But I think problem with script installation is the monitoring will not able to report the actual installation status if success or fail? Thanks again.
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 7:32 AM
  • Catching the installation status of the different applications are not the problem. You can simple catch the installation status by doing something like this iError = oShell.Run ("<CommandLine>", 0, True). The biggest problem with a scripted installation is correcting a failure. What if you scripted three application installations in one script and the third application fails? How do you want to restart that specific installation? Your script has to take into account that application can be installed already.

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:38 AM
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Got what you mean and trying to work out the function and condition...

Anyway, thank you very much.

Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:46 PM