Unable to paste a file from OneDrive as attachment when it's opened RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

We use OneDrive for business that syncs Sharepoint team libraries.

Autosave and using office applications syncing features are enabled in OneDrive client settings.

Everything works well, but there is a problem (that looks like a bug) with attaching a file using Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V

If a file (located in Onedrive) is opened, and I try to send it via Outlook as an attachment using  Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V from explorer, I receive the error:

We can't open %filepath%. It's possible the file already open, or you don't have permission to open it.

At the same time, I have no problems attaching it via paperclip icon on the ribbon even when it's opened.

If I close the file then Ctrl-V works without any issues.

Have anyone encountered that?

How can I fix that?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested this issue on my side and was interested to find following results:

1. I’ll get the same warning if I attach it via:

• Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to attach the file
    • Insert > Attach File > Browser this PC > choose the file from OneDrive folder

2. I can successfully attach the file under following conditions:

• Via Insert > Attach File > choose the file from Recent Item list
    • Via Insert > Attach File > Browser web locations > choose my personal OneDrive

Is this the same with yours?

Currently, I haven’t found official article regarding this behavior. In my opinion, this is understandable to receive such a warning when you attach a file that is already opened. But when attaching from Recent Item list and web location, the type how Outlook access these files may be different.

If you want to attach the file when it's opened, you may try choosing the file from Recent Item list or web location.

Please feel free to post back if you have more concern on this issue.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, July 1, 2019 5:19 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the same behavior is for me. I'm able to attach the file via Recent (that the way I do every time) but not via Ctrl-V.

And that's begun just after I've turned on that OneDrive-Office File collaboration feature. If I disable it everything works well and I can attach any file with any way.

(sorry, I'm not able to attach a screenshot because my account has not been verified yet)

I have some amount of people who got used to attach files with Ctrl-V and irritated why they have to close the document. And I can't explain them that they have lost the feature in trade for the ability to edit Office files simultaneously:)

Surfing the Internet to find the same cases, I found several threads that there was such an issue with .msg files in the past. And it was recognized as a bug and fixed by Microsoft.

You can easily find an example googling with the message text.

Maybe I should post the issue in the uservoice?

Thursday, June 27, 2019 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

I searched a lot and haven't found an official article which explains this behavior. As this can be reproduced on both side, this may also be by design.

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook desktop client, I’m not sure how OneDrive-Office File collaboration feature affect the attach behavior.

Yes, you can post your feedback to Outlook UserVoice We can see if there are any updates. :)

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, July 4, 2019 4:29 AM
    Friday, June 28, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Just check if the information above is helpful to you. If yes, it's recommended to mark as answer to close off this thread.  Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

If you have further concern, I can help submit a feedback for you to UserVoice.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 3:12 AM