none
Forcing Google SafeSearch RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have configured our firewall to enforce SafeSearch.  Now, each user must manually configure SafeSearch.  Is there a way that I can have IE already configured with SafeSearch enabled for Google, Yahoo, and/or Bing?  I installed Google Chrome and there are GP templates which redirect google.com to   https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl&safe=active&ssui=on without having to enable SafeSearch in preferences.  Does IE have anything like that?

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 5:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I got it partially working by doing the following:

1.  I deleted all of my cookies.

2.  I went to Roaming\MS\Win\Cookies and deleted any remaining cookies.

3.  Deleted everything in content.ie5 folder.

4.  Configured IE from CP\Internet Options home page to about:blank.  This way, the home page does not bring down any cookies.

5.  I went to these 3 sites only:

www.google.com/preferences

search.yahoo.com/preferences/preferences

www.bing.com/account/general

6.  I did a File\Export, export cookies.

7.  On another computer, I ran a batch file that did the following:

Deleted the cookies by running

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 2

Then I import the cookies with NO QUOTES around the path, even with spaces!!

rundll32 C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,ImportCookieFileByProcess \\path to file\cookies.txt

Now, the user has Google, Yahoo, and Bing set to SafeSearch.  I just need to figure out how to get this to work with Windows 10 and Windows 7 with UAC enabled.

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi jsetaro,

Considering this feature is more related to the search engine, it is recommended to ask for help from the search engine support.
    According to my research, we could try to configure the proxy to append &safe=strict to all search requests sent to Google.
    Here is the link for reference:
    Turn SafeSearch on or off
    https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/510?hl=en

"Tips for locking SafeSearch for network administrators
    If you deploy a proxy on your web traffic, it may be possible to configure your proxy to append &safe=strict to all search requests sent to Google. This parameter enables strict SafeSearch for all searches, regardless of the setting on the Google Preferences page.
    "
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:57 AM
  • Hello,

Please read my question completely.  I am asking for a way to have IE redirect Google, Yahoo, or Bing searches to safe search.  I installed Google Chrome and it can do it.  I again am asking if IE can do the same.  And yes I already posted the same question in the Google Chrome forum.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:01 PM
  • safe search works in google every scarch engine has there own one

Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:55 AM
  • Hi jsetaro,

As I stated before and orlando salva pointed out again, this feature is more related to the search engine. I am afraid there is no specific configuration on Internet Explorer. We could try to the proxy configurations suggested by the Google support website as I posted before. I hope the Google support will have more advices about this issue.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:17 AM
  • jsetaro,

We have the same situation. so far in my research, I have found 2 answers:

I don't think the Google template is the right answer as other browsers can be used and it can't handle guest devices that the template does not cover.

1) if you use a proxy, you can append a string (such as "&safe=strict") to searches using your proxy - note that the specific command will probably be different for every search engine.

2) you may have to create a dns alias, so when people go to www.google.com they actually go to forcesafesearch.google.com. If you use a Windows DNS server, a good resource on how to set it up is at site

The disadvantage of dns is its an all-or-nothing solution. If you turn it on, then nobody, not even techs or administrators can get to something it is blocking.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:42 PM
  • Hello,

I was able to get this to work in Firefox.  I found out that all FF cookies are stored in one file in the users profile.  I cleaned out my cookies, and I only went to google.com/preferences, yahoo.com/preferences, and bing.com/account/general.  I enabled strict search on all of them.  Then I copied the cookie to a domain share, applied it to my GP, and now new and existing profiles get this cookie and FF is good to go.  Unfortunately I cant get IE to do the same thing.  It's funny......Google and Firefox will help you secure your P.C., but when you ask MS, you get crickets. 

Friday, November 13, 2015 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

I got it partially working by doing the following:

1.  I deleted all of my cookies.

2.  I went to Roaming\MS\Win\Cookies and deleted any remaining cookies.

3.  Deleted everything in content.ie5 folder.

4.  Configured IE from CP\Internet Options home page to about:blank.  This way, the home page does not bring down any cookies.

5.  I went to these 3 sites only:

www.google.com/preferences

search.yahoo.com/preferences/preferences

www.bing.com/account/general

6.  I did a File\Export, export cookies.

7.  On another computer, I ran a batch file that did the following:

Deleted the cookies by running

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 2

Then I import the cookies with NO QUOTES around the path, even with spaces!!

rundll32 C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll,ImportCookieFileByProcess \\path to file\cookies.txt

Now, the user has Google, Yahoo, and Bing set to SafeSearch.  I just need to figure out how to get this to work with Windows 10 and Windows 7 with UAC enabled.

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:03 PM
  • Hi jsetaro,

I glad you have figured out the solution by yourself and thanks for updating. It will be very useful as a reference for the person who has the similar case.

Best regards

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:16 AM