none
Microsoft Edge favorites and homepage group policy settings not applying

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I've been working on getting group policy ready for our organization's Windows 10 roll out later this year. For certain computers, we need to be able to direct the Edge homepage to our SharePoint site, as well as be able to push out "favorites" directly to Edge.

When I first began working on our group policy settings, I was able to use the Windows 10 group policy settings "Configure Corporate Home Pages" and "Configure Favorites" to push these settings to our computers, and for a while it worked just fine. 

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that for some reason Edge is no longer going to SharePoint, nor is it displaying any websites under "favorites", despite my specifying these settings in GP.

What's strange is if I run RSOP.MSC I can see that the machine is getting the Edge policies, however once I run Edge, none of the settings apply.

Today I also modified the setting "Turn off Password Manager" in Edge group policy settings, and that one applies perfectly fine. I can see it in RSOP.MSC, and when I go to Edge advanced settings, the option is greyed out. However even with this setting working correctly in the same Group Policy Object as the other 2, the only one that applies is the Password Manager policy.

Because this is a Computer Policy, I've tried specifying the computer name in the scope, but still nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated at this point!

Thanks!

Monday, August 01, 2016 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Does this issue occur on other clients? Please check if only the specific client is experiencing the issue or all the clients are affected.

Please run gpupdate on the problematic client and check the result.

For more information about GPO troubleshooting, please refer to following MS articles:

Troubleshooting Group Policy Problems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787386(v=WS.10).aspx
    Your Guide to Group Policy Troubleshooting
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.02.troubleshooting.aspx
    Troubleshooting Group Policy Using Event Logs
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749336(v=WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

Thanks for the reply. This is happening on clients across our organization that are running Windows 10. I've run gpupdate /force several times, and checked RSOP afterwards to find that the policies are indeed listed as being applied. However, Edge never shows the favorites or homepage in the browser.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if you were using the old Administrative Templates for Windows 10, the updated template files are now available. Please try to use Windows10_Version_1511_ADMX.msi and check the result.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48257

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Yes, I added the Windows 10 build 1511 templates months ago. As a precaution I went ahead and removed, then re-added to see if this would fix the problem. Unfortunately I still have the same problem

I'm still able to apply the Edge policy "Turn Off Password Manager" without any issues (several other Windows 10 policies are also working perfectly fine too). However the "Configure Corporate Home Pages" and "Configure Favorites" settings never apply, despite being in the same exact GPO as the Password Manager policy. These 2 settings are the only ones I've been struggling with.

There was a post on another forum where a user was having this same issue, and many were suggesting that an update may have broken the policy. With the amount of troubleshooting I've been doing with this, the update theory is starting to sound more and more likely at this point.

• Edited by DFrits Thursday, August 04, 2016 3:02 PM
    Thursday, August 04, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean this security update?

Deploying Group Policy Security Update MS16-072 \ KB3163622

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2016/06/22/deploying-group-policy-security-update-ms16-072-kb3163622/

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, August 05, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Unfortunately I'm not sure what update would have been involved with causing the problem, I was hoping someone could shed some light possibly.

After reading the article about KB3163622 I was hoping my problem was as simple as a permissions issue, but sadly it looks like my permissions are set up correctly with both "Read" and "Apply Group Policy" selected.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Another interesting observation I've made is that the group policy seems to be applying to Windows 10 Professional installs fine, however the 12 Windows 10 Enterprise computers are not receiving the policy.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:17 PM
  • Hi,

You could try to use WMI Filters to apply Group Policy to a target operating system.

Fun with WMI Filters in Group Policy

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2008/09/11/fun-with-wmi-filters-in-group-policy/

Create WMI Filters for the GPO

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947846(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I'll play around with WMI filters and report back with what I find.
    Thursday, August 11, 2016 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

Feel free to let me know if you have any update on this case.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, August 12, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:33 AM
  • Ok. No resolution yet, it's still causing issues for me. I haven't had a chance to sit down and work on it some more, too many other issues at work right now unfortunately...
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

If there is no progress, I would suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get an efficient solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-au

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, August 19, 2016 9:21 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with Favorites. What I've discovered is that the Favorites only apply once. If an update is made to the policy (i.e. a new Favorite is added) clients will not update. Likewise, if I delete one or all of the Favorites from the client a policy update does not bring the missing (deleted) Favorites back. I've also tried deleting the Edge Favorites database (spartan.edb) from C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore but there was no change in behavior. The only way I've been able to get the Favorites to apply is to start with a fresh user profile. I can't believe this is by design. It must be a bug. If not, this is worthless. Unfortunately I cannot find any information to support or deny this behavior.      

Thursday, March 02, 2017 10:07 PM
  • I opened a case with Microsoft and learned that Favorites apply once by design. However, you can use the following registry value to allow for updating.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main

EnterpriseFavoritesApplied=0

This solution is a bit clunky since this value will change after the policy is applied and/or the browser is launched. We are changing this with group policy preferences and it works, but there could be a scenario where the favorites don't update until another refresh cycle. Luckily our favorites do not update frequently so this really isn't an issue for us. I'm glad to have this working, but this is a bad design. Our expectation was for this to work as it did in Internet Explorer.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, March 10, 2017 10:57 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 10:36 PM