none
Grouping the same Resources Names and summarizing % Allocation from multiple files in one master file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are reviewing resource % allocation from multiple project files at once in a 'master' project file (via the Insert -> Project function). Each resource has the same name in each of the respective 'sub-files', and so we created a group in the master to group by name.

When we apply the group to the resource usage view, the hours summarize correctly for 'Work', but when switching to % allocation to make things easier, the 'Summary' line doesn't sum the individual lines below it:

url: goo.gl/r6daeI (I can't paste a link in this message right now)

Does anyone have a solution for this nesting?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:59 PM

Answers

• VSAT Ryan,

I don't have Project open at the moment but a couple of thoughts come to mind. First of all it sounds like you are creating a dynamic master without a resource pool. In that configuration, your resources will show separately for each subproject. If you instead create a static master (i.e. uncheck the Link to Project option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window when you build the master), identical resources in each subproject will automatically be combined into a single resource in the new master. Then you won't need to use grouping to see the data you want. Another advantage of creating a static master is that it will not be prone to file corruption like a dynamic master. The disadvantage of a static master is that it is a snapshot in time of the subprojects and there will be no dynamic interaction between the static master and the subproject files. You will need to build a new static master each time you want to update the combined data for all subprojects. This however is a pretty easy process and you can record a macro while doing it the first time such that it be even easier thereafter.

Another approach is to create a resource pool file. That consolidates all resources into a single resource only file and should also eliminate the need to use grouping to get the data you want. And with a resource pool, you won't necessarily need to create a master since the pool file will contain the resource data you want. Use of a resource pool is however also a linked structure like a dynamic master and is therefore also prone to file corruption.

Hope this helps

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:34 PM test2
    • Marked as answer by VSAT Ryan Friday, January 24, 2014 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:21 AM
  • Hi VSAT Ryan,

The behavior you are seeing is completely normal. Since you are using DISTINCT resources in each project, even with the same name (ie john doe1 and john doe2), they are both their availability (ie 40hrs/week). Thus when you are grouping both John Doe assignments, MS Project calculates the % Allocation based on 80hrs/week and not 40hrs. This explains the unexpected result you got.

John gave you in this reply an excellent advice: using a share resource pool will allow you scheduling your task on shared resource without duplicating them, meaning that the % allocation will make sense. Ie you'll have one and only one John Doe with 40hrs/week of availability that will be assigned in various project plan.

Please find here a link for using shared resource pool. Note that this feature doesn't require to be connected to Project Server.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by VSAT Ryan Friday, January 24, 2014 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• VSAT Ryan,

I don't have Project open at the moment but a couple of thoughts come to mind. First of all it sounds like you are creating a dynamic master without a resource pool. In that configuration, your resources will show separately for each subproject. If you instead create a static master (i.e. uncheck the Link to Project option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window when you build the master), identical resources in each subproject will automatically be combined into a single resource in the new master. Then you won't need to use grouping to see the data you want. Another advantage of creating a static master is that it will not be prone to file corruption like a dynamic master. The disadvantage of a static master is that it is a snapshot in time of the subprojects and there will be no dynamic interaction between the static master and the subproject files. You will need to build a new static master each time you want to update the combined data for all subprojects. This however is a pretty easy process and you can record a macro while doing it the first time such that it be even easier thereafter.

Another approach is to create a resource pool file. That consolidates all resources into a single resource only file and should also eliminate the need to use grouping to get the data you want. And with a resource pool, you won't necessarily need to create a master since the pool file will contain the resource data you want. Use of a resource pool is however also a linked structure like a dynamic master and is therefore also prone to file corruption.

Hope this helps

John

• Edited by John - Project Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:34 PM test2
    • Marked as answer by VSAT Ryan Friday, January 24, 2014 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:21 AM
  • Hi VSAT Ryan,

The behavior you are seeing is completely normal. Since you are using DISTINCT resources in each project, even with the same name (ie john doe1 and john doe2), they are both their availability (ie 40hrs/week). Thus when you are grouping both John Doe assignments, MS Project calculates the % Allocation based on 80hrs/week and not 40hrs. This explains the unexpected result you got.

John gave you in this reply an excellent advice: using a share resource pool will allow you scheduling your task on shared resource without duplicating them, meaning that the % allocation will make sense. Ie you'll have one and only one John Doe with 40hrs/week of availability that will be assigned in various project plan.

Please find here a link for using shared resource pool. Note that this feature doesn't require to be connected to Project Server.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by VSAT Ryan Friday, January 24, 2014 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Guillaume,

You forgot to include the link. Don't know which link you intended but this is one I found with a quick Google search:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/create-a-resource-pool-for-sharing-resources-across-projects-HP045303641.aspx

John

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:36 PM
  • Hi John!

The link (http://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/microsoft-project-2010-how-to-use-resource-pools) was actually on the "here" word in my post. But yours seems better, coming from MS.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Guillaume,

Okay, now that I look at it, the "here" does show in blue, indicating a link, but it's a subtle difference from the normal black font. I didn't catch it, so assume the original poster might not either.

Yes, I also saw the SiliconBeachTraining link when I did a Google search but I normally prefer a Microsoft link if one is available and applicable to the subject matter.

John

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:19 PM
  • Thanks John - Project.

Thanks for the ideas. As a short term solution, the static master will work. We will consider the Resource Pool for the future, and how it will impact our current business process.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:47 PM
  • VSAT Ryan,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If you feel your question was answered, please mark it as answered. Note: you can mark more than one response as an answer if you feel that appropriate.

John

Friday, January 24, 2014 7:24 PM